Buses damaging your car

Buses can't reverse on a public road without a police officer or official banksman being present.

Then why have I been on SEVERAL buses in the past that have reversed on public roads with varying passenger numbers on board, usually due to missed junctions without the aid of either of these?

Then why have I been on SEVERAL buses in the past that have reversed on public roads with varying passenger numbers on board, usually due to missed junctions without the aid of either of these?

Because bus drivers break the law and think it's ok to do so because they've got somewhere to be and no-one else on the road has!

6 of 1, half a dozen of the other.

If you don't park badly, you far reduce the risk.

As for illegal to reverse a bus, whether in service or not, what a load of rubbish. How can it be illegal.

Just because buses reverse less than they did 30 years ago (more turning circles etc) doesn't mean it's illegal.

Perhaps the brain surgeon who suggested that one may be better checking on his/her driving skills than those he/she wishes to belittle.

I'll bet that 99% of people on here who have an anti-bus opinion, couldn't drive a bus to save their lives!

Reg 106, Construction & Use Regs

Regulation 106 of the Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulations 1986 creates an offence of reversing a motor vehicle further than necessary for the safety or reasonable convenience of the occupants.

106. No person shall drive, or cause or permit to be driven, a motor vehicle backwards on a road further than may be requisite for the safety or reasonable convenience of the occupants of the vehicle or other traffic, unless it is a road roller or is engaged in the construction, maintenance or repair of the road .

As can be seen above it is not an offence to reverse a bus , however, reversing a bus on the highway with passangers on is only done if absolutley needed.

The companies have differant rules regarding this even the same company in a differant part of the country will have a differnt set of rules depending on the circumstances.

As stated above there are times when a bus has gone wrong way and is stuck so it revereses and there are also times when it gets stuck due to cars been parked . Generaly speaking it is safer for the car to do the turning than the bus as its easer to move a car than a very long and heavy bus

I appreciate that its difficult sometimes on Sheffield roads but some bus drivers dont seem to have awareness of the cars around them, parked or driving. We have had so many near misses with them skipping lanes and nearly pushing us off road etc. And we are suposed to trust paying to take a journey on them??

As I have said before twice I have been on a bus that's hit a car (usually when they are trying to squeeze past as they can't seem to wait and abide by the highway code) and both times I have taken pictures and informed the owner the police and the bus company

Archived