Does the DWP reforms make YOUR search for a job harder?

The number of unemployed continues to rise each day, and we are not far off that “3 million” figure. I seem to recall that the UB40 song- 1 in ten, was released around the last time unemployment was 3 million , back in the day.

Considering that thousands are being kicked off of incapacity benefit and moved on to job seekers (or whatever it’s called), as a “job seeker”, does it bother you that these being kicked off are now making the competition for jobs even harder for us?

I don`t know what the ratio is these days. There are 2.5 million unemployed, and the population will have risen since unemployment was last at 3m. The UK population is around 62 million. To find the ratio, we have to know how many are of working age. The new legislation to allow 65 year olds to carry on working may effect the maths;)

Chem1st will know how to work it out (cos he can do the alc/units thing) :thumbsup:

The number of unemployed continues to rise each day, and we are not far off that “3 million” figure. I seem to recall that the UB40 song- 1 in ten, was released around the last time unemployment was 3 million , back in the day.

Considering that thousands are being kicked off of incapacity benefit and moved on to job seekers (or whatever it’s called), as a “job seeker”, does it bother you that these being kicked off are now making the competition for jobs even harder for us?

It might make finding a job a little more difficult BUT how much money is being saved by booting the false claimants off incapacity from the taxpayer's pocket?

I don`t know what the ratio is these days. There are 2.5 million unemployed, and the popultion will have risen since unemployment was last at 3m. The UK population is around 62 million. To find the ratio, we have to know how many are of working age. The new legislation to allow 65 year olds to carry on working may effect the maths;)

Chem1st will know how to work it out (cos he can do the alc/units thing) :thumbsup:

Youth unemployment is 20.3%, so they would be singing I am the one in 5.

http://www.statistics.gov.uk/cci/nugget.asp?id=12

Latest stats^

The employment rate for those aged from 16 to 64 for the three months to November 2010 was 70.4 per cent, down 0.3 on the quarter. The number of people in employment aged 16 and over fell by 69,000 on the quarter to reach 29.09 million.

'Inactivity rate' of working age population is 23.4%

1 in 4 perhaps.

I don`t know what the ratio is these days. There are 2.5 million unemployed, and the popultion will have risen since unemployment was last at 3m. The UK population is around 62 million. To find the ratio, we have to know how many are of working age. The new legislation to allow 65 year olds to carry on working may effect the maths;)

The 'unemployment' statistics are fudged ('unemployed-and-claiming-benefit' is not the same as 'wants a job and hasn't got one' or 'doesn't have a job and doesn't want one either' or whatever description you want to use.)

Why not look at the employment statistics?

According to those (government) statistics, 70.4% of the workforce have a job. That figure includes 1.16 million people who have only a part-time job because they can't find a full-time job. Look at that another way and 3 out of every 10 people between the ages of 16 and 64 (inclusive) do not have any kind of job at all.

In the 3 months to Nov 2010, the number of people who were unemployed and claiming benefits (fiddled figures) went down, but the number of people without any kind of job went up.

Thanks Chem & Rupert. I conclude then, that as far as unemployment is concerned there is a greater percentage without jobs now than during the thatcher years when the 3m figure was almost a cliche. Gentlemen the country is in a mess. Wait till the interest rates rise before the nice weather comes. Fasten your seat belts there`s a rougher ride on its way.

The problem is, is that since 1997 in the New Labour years there were 3 million jobs, however, people from all over the world took them.

The Brits were offered Incapacity Benefit on Mass to fiddle the stats and many Brits took the benefit.

Mass Migration then followed.

Had the Brits not been offered incapacity, then these 3million vacancies would have been filled by our own countrymen.

Archived