Non -Foreign Mums banned from Foreign-only playgroups..

some interesting points i noticed about this story

Roger Owen, administrator for Making Links, said that the group is not a 'typical' playgroup and is funded entirely for women from other nationalities.

He said: 'We believe there are plenty of other alternatives for British mothers in the town.

'We have had an issue with men turning up before and back then we told them the group is strictly for mothers so it's nothing to do with racial discrimination.'"

"According to the Equality and Human Rights Commission website, under the Equality Act 2010 it is not unlawful to set up a group especially for a particular ethnic or national group.

Under the act discrimination based on colour is unlawful."

My bold.

have you ever been to a playgroup? its where mothers.......and some fathers also interact and meet and chat and things

It might not be unlawful, but is it desirable? According to the article in the Mail (if accurate) some ministers and government departments are questioning the legality and senstitivity of the group's actions. It's hardly the best example of public relations.

In addition, they don't seem too keen on single fathers.

My bold.

It might not be unlawful, but is it desirable? According to the article in the Mail (if accurate) some ministers and government departments are questioning the legality and senstitivity of the group's actions. It's hardly the best example of public relations.

In addition, they don't seem too keen on single fathers.

i thought the BNP got into trouble for the same reasons as this play group.

is that true about single dads?

i thought the BNP got into trouble for the same reasons as this play group.

is that true about single dads?

As I understand it, The BNP were found to be discriminating purely on racial grounds; this group appears to be excluding anyone who is familiar or versed in British culture as their participation would be considered detrimental, unhelpful or unnecessary to those qualified to join.

Again, I would be surprised (generally speaking), if single fathers were denied the same opportunities as single mothers.

As I understand it, The BNP were found to be discriminating purely on racial grounds; this group appears to be excluding anyone who is familiar or versed in British culture as their participation would be considered detrimental, unhelpful or unnecessary to those qualified to join.

Again, I would be surprised (generally speaking), if single fathers were denied the same opportunities as single mothers.

Have you read the telegraph report? Here's an excerpt...

"Roger Owen, the administrator for Making Links, said: "We have had an issue with men turning up before and back then we told them the group is strictly for mothers so it's nothing to do with racial discrimination.

"It is a group for ladies from other countries. It is not for British people...."

Seems to contradict you on both issues...ie you must be a woman and not British..

I would just like to add to this that I have lived in another country, a Muslim country actually and I have suffered racist comments from some people there,it was no big deal and fortuntely I believe that it has made me a better person. I can't stand small minded people though and in my opinion this thread started from a very small minded point of view.I can't imagine how it can be seen as any other point of view.

Archived