Playing Poker with friends

gempau

Hi

Im looking for some advice, maybe from any pub landlords etc, or anyone that knows..

Me and a group of friends are starting to learn the game and want t have a little get together to play..

It wouldnt be for any money, just so we can have a few beers and get some experience... plus for bragging rights...

Does anyone know if we would be cool to do this in a pub ?

I have been told that some landlords might be funny with us...

We would be playing just for chips. no money...

Can anyone advise...

City Centre would be preferable !!!

Thanks Alot

Originally posted by sheff_joe

Whats the risk... go in... buy a drink... and say to the landlord " do you mind if me and my mates have a game of cards. i can assure you no money will change hands.. "

most should be cool with that !!

Joe...

You'd be amazed. We got barred from the Cutler simply for filling out our football predictions league. Apparently it classified as gambling on the premises, which is utter rubbish.

Originally posted by mikebayly

You'd be amazed. We got barred from the Cutler simply for filling out our football predictions league. Apparently it classified as gambling on the premises, which is utter rubbish.

Actually, you aren't allowed to have any type of betting slip on liscensed premises.

Fair enough, it might not be from a bookies, but if it involves gambling, it's illegal.

Originally posted by sheff_joe

Is that gambling with money is illegal or any kind of gambling. Ie with Chips !

I never thought you would any problem, but i stand corrected. It seems it may not be easy.

Do you need any more players gem.

You can play certain games for small stakes, Crib, Billiards and Bridge(?) I think.

There's a licsence sheet on display in every pub which displays the current laws on gambling in pubs.

:thumbsup:

Hi,

It illegal in pubs to play for anything other than ''small'' stakes, whatever a small stake might be ????

I have been kicked out of several pubs for playing basic cards for pennies in the past as landlords are scared stiff of betting on the premises.

My advice is to play at home any have some cans. You will only get grief in a pub.

Oh and don't try it in ireland, they go ape sh*t.

Archived