How full do you fill your tank

I was listening to a radio station today and the presenter was amused that when people fill up their cars with fuel, that they dont fill it to "full".

(and not to, was completely absurd)

I fill it to capacity on a huge, long trip where I know I will use it all.

Most of the time I put about £20.00 in to last me a week.

I don't think I'm sad and wasting my life doing this on a weeky basis.

Any thoughts?

As an after thought, I think I need a bit more of a stimulating life at the moment!!

i never fill it to full unless im travelling very far and want to ensure i dont have to stop to fill up again on the way.

its silly to fill up to the max if you dont drive hundreds of miles each week - you just end up burning fuel carrying around the weight of the fuel! and none of us can afford that at the moment....

i fill to a half full tank max if im not planning a big journey, i noticed pretty early that the guage drops from full to half quickly then hardly budges from half to empty.

... i noticed pretty early that the guage drops from full to half quickly then hardly budges from half to empty.

I don't think that tells you as much about the rate at which you burn fuel when the car is full as it does about the accuracy of the fuel gauge.

The only thing you can tell from a fuel gauge is whether it is fitted or not.

I don't think that tells you as much about the rate at which you burn fuel when the car is full as it does about the accuracy of the fuel gauge.

The only thing you can tell from a fuel gauge is whether it is fitted or not.

i know when i fill it to the brink that the guage reads full and when its empty and starts making that slight gurgling noise that it shows empty cos its nearly empty - thats accurate enough for me!

maybe my perception that it seems to take no time for the needle to drop from full to half pretty quickly then seems to takes ages to get from half to empty? (no change of driving habits either).

i was just working on the advice that you should remove any excess weighty junk from your car to save fuel and figured you would be using up fuel ferrying around the extra weight of a full tank. seems a waste of money if you only drive a few miles a day/week.

Normally about £25 a time (would fill about half my tank). I dont want to be carrying 25 litres for nothing (costs more on mpg with extra weight) or be going to the station more often. Sods law though when I do brim it, its on the day I forget my Nectar card.

Archived