How full do you fill your tank

maybe my perception that it seems to take no time for the needle to drop from full to half pretty quickly then seems to takes ages to get from half to empty? (no change of driving habits either).

Fuel gauges are notoriously inaccurate. - I tend to ignore them and rely instead on the trip odometer. - I know how much fuel I put in the car (or more usually bike) and I know how many miles I can expect to get out of that amount.

..i was just working on the advice that you should remove any excess weighty junk from your car to save fuel and figured you would be using up fuel ferrying around the extra weight of a full tank. seems a waste of money if you only drive a few miles a day/week.

That's sound advice most of the time. - You have to burn fuel to move mass around, so don't carry any unnecessary weight in the vehicle.

Apart from when you're driving on snow and:

(1) The extra weight may help the wheels to gain/retain traction.

(2) You may end up stuck and you might be very grateful for the extra fuel if you have to run the engine to keep warm.

During the recent spell of snowy weather, the advice given initially was 'make sure your tank is full before yyou set off' but as fuel supplies ran low, it changed to 'don't buy fuel unnecessarily'.

It's strange how so-called 'safety'advice can change when it suits.

I fill it full, because I use about a tank a week. I'm seriously tempted to trade down to a VED Band A diesel. By getting double the fuel economy and not paying VED I'd save about £1500 a year. 5 years and that's half the cost of the car back!

Well, I didn't really think you look like Rufus Sewell, nor did I think you were a Venetian Policeman working in Rome. But he drives a Giulietta and he's been on TV recently.

Perhaps one downside to owning a car like that in Sheffield might be that it could be a popular target for vandals. - I've no direct experience; I'm just going by the number of threads on this forum about snapped off mirrors, 'keyed' paintwork, slashed tyres etc.

It should be a fun car to drive though and this road test gives it a pretty good rating.

Archived