How full do you fill your tank

I have my eye on Giuletta, but i'm open to suggestions.I was going to get an Audi initially but changed my mind.

Sorry O/T, contributed to your @Find a car@ thread, what are the getting/did you get in the end?

On topic, I commute about £400 miles per week so fill up every visit and get about 430 miles to 1 tank @ 35ish mpg.

I fill mine to the brim for the simple reason that not doing so means that I have to visit the gas station more often and everytime I do the price per gallon has gone up a few more pennies.

If you have a Harley like the one I had ... V-rod (original... before they messed them up!) you can only get about eight quid in it from empty! :)

If you have a Harley like the one I had ... V-rod (original... before they messed them up!) you can only get about eight quid in it from empty! :)

I no longer have one. Got side swiped two years ago and sustained some injuries.

I now drive a GMC Sierra 2 ton diesel pick up, a Honda Accord or my wife's Lexus.

The pickup runs around 100 dollars to fill up from empty but that would be cheap compared to what someone would pay in the UK

I no longer have one. Got side swiped two years ago and sustained some injuries.

I now drive a GMC Sierra 2 ton diesel pick up, a Honda Accord or my wife's Lexus.

The pickup runs around 100 dollars to fill up from empty but that would be cheap compared to what someone would pay in the UK

Sorry to hear that Harleyman ... hope you're OK now!

Maybe a Boss Hoss trike would suit you ... It'd certainly use as much fuel as the GMC and Accord combined! :D

i know when i fill it to the brink that the guage reads full and when its empty and starts making that slight gurgling noise that it shows empty cos its nearly empty - thats accurate enough for me!

maybe my perception that it seems to take no time for the needle to drop from full to half pretty quickly then seems to takes ages to get from half to empty? (no change of driving habits either).

i was just working on the advice that you should remove any excess weighty junk from your car to save fuel and figured you would be using up fuel ferrying around the extra weight of a full tank. seems a waste of money if you only drive a few miles a day/week.

This is sound in theory, but have you ever actually considered the weight involved.

Your car probably weighs at least 1500 kg, you probably weigh between 50 and 100kg. Your tank holds around 50 litres, so if you constantly keep it between empty and half full, instead of full and empty, you've reduced the average load by 12.5kg, out of a minimum of 1600kg, less than 1%.

You probably use that much extra with all the extra driving into the petrol station.

Archived