Don't panic!!but I am :(

just wanted to share my worries with you !!

Now normally with a change of Govt. or after the budget i expect things to be a bit more expensive, or just change a bit, but on the whole i usually have the attitude that we dont really notice much difference.

but hang on!! as an eternal optimist i really am starting to worry now.

seriously how are most of us going to pay the bills? I have zero debt for the very first time in my life, and want it to stay that way.

in your opinion are this goverment just doing too much damage to us/themselves.

do they have a cat in hells chance of getting in again?

was it all the previous govt.'s fault?

Are there going to be riots?

i know some of this will already have been covered on here, but the good thing about SF is there is every sort of person on here (just about!). makes for a balenced (ish) view.

what do you think? am i right to worry?

cheers

max

You might have no debt that you pay personally to banks etc directly, but you/we have massive debts as a nation that have to be serviced. Those national/state debts have not been run up (purely) since the new government took over.

Someone has to make some tough decisions to reduce the national debt, the previous government seemed to feel borrowing more would solve the problem.

You have zero personal debt now for the first time, so like many you hopefully have a grasp of how borrowing more to pay off debt is usually not a good idea.

Now normally with a change of Govt. or after the budget i expect things to be a bit more expensive, or just change a bit, but on the whole i usually have the attitude that we dont really notice much difference.

seriously how are most of us going to pay the bills? I have zero debt for the very first time in my life, and want it to stay that way.

i know some of this will already have been covered on here, but the good thing about SF is there is every sort of person on here (just about!). makes for a balenced (ish) view.

cheers

max

Yes. The painless way is probably pills. The cheapest would be a Stanley knife.

You might have no debt that you pay personally to banks etc directly, but you/we have massive debts as a nation that have to be serviced. Those national/state debts have not been run up (purely) since the new government took over.

Someone has to make some tough decisions to reduce the national debt, the previous government seemed to feel borrowing more would solve the problem.

You have zero personal debt now for the first time, so like many you hopefully have a grasp of how borrowing more to pay off debt is usually not a good idea.

i understand that yes.

doesnt make me feel any better though!!! :)

Will the government's changes damage our way of life/economy? Possibly, maybe even probably.

Does it need to be done? Certainly (though I'm no state accountant!).

We have been living beyond our means for quite some time due to consumerist greed. Constant bombardment of adverts and friends etc saying how great their new xyz is.

Those national/state debts have not been run up (purely) since the new government took over.

Neither are those debts the fault of the last government alone. Anyone who tries to say otherwise is delusional.

The position we find ourselves in now is due to the failings of successive governments.

Neither are those debts the fault of the last government alone. Anyone who tries to say otherwise is delusional.

The position we find ourselves in now is due to the failings of successive governments.

Agreed, it does annoy me when people try to blame 1 party, some things are more long term. Having said that, how long were the last government in power? Long enough to make a lot of changes either way if they chose to.

Will the government's changes damage our way of life/economy? Possibly, maybe even probably.

Does it need to be done? Certainly (though I'm no state accountant!).

We have been living beyond our means for quite some time due to consumerist greed. Constant bombardment of adverts and friends etc saying how great their new xyz is.

i'm all for tightening the belt and all that and could understand if "they" were saying "look folks its going to be hard for a while, so lets all pull together"

but! we arnt all pulling together are we?

the rich will stay rich, the scroungers will stay protected (and no, by scroungers i dont mean ALL people on benefits), and the people inbetween will suffer :/

cheers

max

My bold

No, you're not - worrying about it will do bugger all to help your situation.

Some things - like our expenditure - are within our control, but if the Government decides to increase taxes or whatever, there's very little we can do about it.

Do something positive instead of worrying - draw up a budget of all your incomings and outgoings and see where you can trim off some of the spending, then start putting that money into a savings account, so you have something for a rainy day.

Archived