Council spending priorities - bins or disabled children?

What should be a council spending priority?  

37 members have voted

1. 1. What should be a council spending priority?

• Weekly bin collections
    • Respite care for disabled children

Isn't this part of the con-dems big society plan where they expect charities to fill the gaps caused by job cuts and funding reduction? A charity might well help with disabled children but what charity would empty the bins?

had a charity that offerred me 2 hours once a week......... except thier member of staff could not be left alone with my child due to her difficultys and the machines she was attached to so insted of it being respite it ended up being one more person for me to worry about, making tea for the woman, listening to her man troubles etc

had a charity that offerred me 2 hours once a week......... except thier member of staff could not be left alone with my child due to her difficultys and the machines she was attached to so insted of it being respite it ended up being one more person for me to worry about, making tea for the woman, listening to her man troubles etc

That sounds like a bag of laughs :|

• 2 weeks later...

Well the poll is now closed and by a whisker more people think that having their bin emptied every week, rather than every fortnight, is more important than the health and wellbeing of disabled children and their families.

Is this the "Big Society" that Cameron and his chums talk about? Sounds more like I'm alright Jack to me.

The removal of rubbish is more important because of the problem of disease which could ultimately affect a number of people. Unfortunately the responsibility for a disabled child is the parents problem, having said that both my children were without any physical or mental disabilities but both gave us problems of other natures which were extremely stressfull. We all have problems of a different nature and we have to cope as best we can.

wow, thats the most pathetic post ive read. £2000 to £3000 a week to keep someone in prison. £335 thousand million in the hands of 1000 people. 5 thousand million spent on turning money into scrap aircraft. millions given in aid thats used to buy ak47's and you would rather your bin emptied than a disabled kid get the help they need. :roll:

Wow.

I only included a poll for a bit of a laugh because I thought the question was such a no brainer. I foolishly assumed that people would value the health and wellbeing of disabled children and their parents over the inconvenience of only getting their dustbins emptied every two weeks instead of one.

87.5% see the bins as more important so far.

Oh well.

Im with you on this I thought people would have thought disabled children were more important than bins. I never met my paternal auntie as she was disabled and had health problems and died at the age of 15, but from talking to my dad and my grandma I have some insight into how difficult it was for the family as in those days respite was rare.

I know the councils priorities are wrong.... I had a meeting with 3 councillors last year with a group of young people and one of the young people asked "why is funding for young peoples services been cut yet the council has bailed out sheffields museums and paid for new hanging baskets and plants to be planted in the town centre"

One of the councillors then said different councillors have different priorities.

The council chat rubbish, think of themselves and seriously need to have a word with themselves

Im with you on this I thought people would have thought disabled children were more important than bins. I never met my paternal auntie as she was disabled and had health problems and died at the age of 15, but from talking to my dad and my grandma I have some insight into how difficult it was for the family as in those days respite was rare.

But that just the problem isn't it. Unless you are aware of the day to day difficulties that families who have disabled children face , many dont understand the problem.Lets face it, generally people think of themselves and their own needs. So the poll result isnt surprising as the wording on it doesn't give you an option to give a different answer.It isn't that black or white.

where do you think council priorities should lie?

It's quite clear where they do lie, protecting the bloated salaries, above inflation pay rises and index linked pensions of the upper management.

The theory behind paying such high salaries for management is in order to attract "the best and the brightest".

If so, what went wrong? :huh:

Im with you on this I thought people would have thought disabled children were more important than bins.

People tend to care about what they need (or think they need), the poll is very black and white, if you threw in "cancer patients", "abandoned animals" and "the rainforests" then the split would be different.

Archived