N power what a disgrace!

we moved into our new home on the 19th january, theres a electric token meter fitted with 35 pounds outstanding on it which has to be paid before we get any electric on, obviously i wasnt paying somebody elses bill and i couldnt anyway because i didnt have the top up key for the meter, so i phoned n power to explain...... ive never talked to such a rude man in my life! i explained the situation and the man said i had to fax off my tenancy agreement to prove that i had just moved in, which was fair enough, he then went on to say i cant do anything for you till i have that information, but i doubt i will get it, just another customer trying it on!!!!!! i said excuse me, he went on to say, mrs brooke (which is not my name) you have tried this before, you really need to pay for your bills!! after a bit of an argument i went and faxed the tenancy aggrement over to them, this was thursday morning then phoned them back, i told them i have 2 boys and living in a house with no electric, another man told me they would ring back to sort it out and get our electric back on within the hour.... this was yesturday at around 3pm..... still no phone call! so i phoned them back about an hour ago, they have given me a reference number to take to a shop and collect a top up key, i asked about the 35 pound owing on the meter, they said i have to clear that ammount plus 10 pound on the key before i get any electric!!!! i told them i was not paying for someone else bill, then the man said sorry nothing else i can do and hung up! i dont know what to do, i can not afford to put 45 pound on a electric meter and i dont get paid while next week, so that will be near on a week without electric! anyone know what i can do please, im in a right pickle, have you had dealings like this with n power?

What customer service!

Did you get the names of who you've spoken too, especially the rude one?

I would call back and ask to speak to a manager straight away, explaining everything you've told us and also asking for his/her name and an address for complaints too.

You've proved that the debt isn't yours, they need to be chasing the previous tennent for that money.

Can you change supplier??? Not sure how it works for renting.

What customer service!

Did you get the names of who you've spoken too, especially the rude one?

I would call back and ask to speak to a manager straight away, explaining everything you've told us and also asking for his/her name and an address for complaints too.

You've proved that the debt isn't yours, they need to be chasing the previous tennent for that money.

Can you change supplier??? Not sure how it works for renting.

yes i can change my supplier but that would take weeks! i have got the mans name im going to phone up now and complain....... i bet that would be a waste of time, ive still got to find 45 pound before it goes dark! oh my what a mess.

been hth n power years no probs at all one day out of blue got a letter i owed them £900 for elec best thing id been on pre-pay meter neva been on a bill no help at all so i change. wanted to be helpfull them wiped bill the lot i stll change best thing to do local spar for a key

You need to get in touch with oflect or ofgem. You know the office of fair trading for electricity. I had a similar situation some years ago when I went to set up lecky account for my new house I was told they would not release to old one until the outstanding debt was cleared on the old house. This was news to me and the ex landlord at the time, as when I moved out there was still credit on the meter also confirmed by ex landlord. Got in touch with with oft they got it sorted and debt cleared.

Turns out that the electric company had set the incorrect price per unit on the meter, so it showed that there was a difference in how many units used and how much was spent on the card, but they still wanted me to pay for thier fault.

I even phoned the electric company and got them to confirm that you should not be able to have a debt with a token or card meter other than an emergency amount which I think was £10 at the time.

Archived