N power what a disgrace!

N Power wanted to take me to court over a debt of £1200, that wasnt mine!......... I agreed to pay it off at £6 a fortnight, and once i'd paid what I thought was enough, I cancelled the direct debit - not heard a word from them since, that was over a year ago

luck

blimey - at £6 a fortnight, that would have taken nearly 8 years! those companies truly are a bunch of so-and-so's.

n-power are bullies, the same happened to me, luckily though it wasnt a token meter otherwise i would have been in the predicament you are now in, i went over to Eon and had to be with Npower for at least 28 days before the switch, then i kept getting letters from Eon telling me n-power will not release me as they need the tenancy agreement over and over again, it was a right nightmare, switch as soon as you can ...good luck

This happened to me when I first moved in. The debt that is on the meter is a standing charge (I think it's either 6 or 7 pence a day) that people have to pay for the 'privilege' of having a meter, it accrues whether you use any electric or not. You still shouldn't have to pay it though!! They tried to do exactly the same thing to me, I moved in on the Thursday with my daughter but they expected me to wait until the Monday to get a key and be able to credit my account. They also expected me to pay the £28 that was outstanding from the time between the last tenant leaving and me moving in. I was on the phone to 3 different people for over an hour on the Friday and got nowhere so I threatened to go public, they just said, "go ahead, it won't make a difference" so I did. I rang radio Sheffield and explained the whole situation, 15 minutes later I got a call saying that I was on a 24hour emergency call out and that I should stay in my property and wait for an engineer. At 10 o clock that night a man turned up with a key, he set it up on my machine, removed the debt and even put me £10 credit on!!

Just kick and scream as much as you can and make sure everybody knows about whats happening. I'm sure they could be breaking some sort of law by trying to make you pay someone elses debt and depriving you and your children of electricity.

I hope you get it all sorted!!! x

same thing happened to me. when we moved in to our house we set up an account with npower. We got a bill for £90 from the period before we moved in I rang and had to do all the same things you described, sending off deeds etc, we were getting letters off the bailiffs in the end I rang up and went ballistic at them and told them point blank they weren't getting the money off me. not heard anything of it since and that was about 4 years ago. I'm still with npower cause unfortunately they are the cheapest for me and have put me on a very good fixed rate deal recently.

even though it seems I have to keep pretending I'm going to swap suppliers once a year cause they try it on and put my Direct debit up by more than half. Once they get a letter off eon they ring me up and offer me the moon on a stick.

I would never go back to N-Power.

I could go on for ages about how they messed up.

Never sign up for energy on the door-step, that was my first mistake. They tell you they're cheaper when they're not. They set my direct debit way too low and didn't review it for nearly a year, then tried to increase it by £130 a month!

The most recent thing was they decided out of the blue to cancel my direct debit for absolutely no reason, then told me I couldn't cancel it, I had to ring my bank. How did they manage to do it in the first place then? :loopy::rant:

At that point I got fed up and decided to leave them for good.

I'm still paying off my debt to them, at £15 a month, along with my normal payment to my new supplier, should be paid off later this year.

This happened to me when i moved house but they were British Gas metres. They were very good and cleared the debt the day i phoned so why N power can't is very strange to me:confused: i didn't even have to prove i'd just moved in, I used to be an N power customer but i'd never go back to them, i'd change surpliers, hope you get it sorted

Archived