After market rip off

Can someone explain to me how this works?

I go out and buy a Samsung colour lazer printer for around £120. It comes with a full set of four toner cartridges.

After a few months the warning light comes on telling me to reorder the toner and it directs me to a site selling them at £156 set plus carriage...................

Does anyone actually fall for this? It is cheaper to bin the printer and buy another.

I just get dump the printer and get a new one every time the ink runs out ... far cheaper!

I feel sorry for those nice people who make the Sunday Times!

It must cost at least £50 in printing ink alone for each individual paper, what with all the supplements and everything! ... God knows how they subsidise it! :gag::huh:

I did try Cartridge World. They weren't really any cheaper than buying direct.

In the end I went on Ebay and found someone selling full sets at £15 inc P&P FROM CANADA!?!?!?

Thats about 10% of the normal rate. I know that you get what you pay for, but the guy has "most trusted seller" status and 99+% feedback of about 14,000...

Anyhow. I ordered and paid using Paypal. I will soon know if the stuff is any good. What have I got to lose?

When new the printer doesn't come with full toners.

If its the CLP-310 or similar that I pay £120 for a replacement set of genuine Samsung (compatibles aren't available yet)

It did come with full toners. Its a CLP300 and I paid a few quid extra for FULL toners to be supplied with the printer.

I just get dump the printer and get a new one every time the ink runs out ... far cheaper!

I feel sorry for those nice people who make the Sunday Times!

It must cost at least £50 in printing ink alone for each individual paper, what with all the supplements and everything! ... God knows how they subsidise it! :gag::huh:

That's why Newspapers used to be in black and white and the 'draft' option on the printer menu was employed. Our for-fathers were much smarter than we give them credit for. If the cost of toner cartridges continues to rise the tabloids will have no option other than revert to the old ways.

Archived