Archery Clubs Advice on Membership!!

Can anyone point me in the right direction for getting my son and husband some training in Archery. They have done some taster sessions whilst on holiday and would love to take it up seriously, but every time I try and get in touch with a club (mainly Rotherham) they take like 2months to get back to me! I thought I had got them booked on some training but that does not now seem to be happening, all seems a little unprofessional ( or they just dont want us to join?) We are happy to pay but dont seem to be getting anywhere, been trying since October 2010, any advice appreciated, or is it just a bit clicky? :suspect:

From looking at a couple of similar posts, you might have some luck trying Abbeydale Archers and I think I found another called Arrowflight Archers or something on Google a while back.

Sorry to hear you've been struggling to get anywhere. But I hope you persevere. In my experience, archery clubs are anything but cliquey, they tend to be really welcoming and glad of new interest. If they seem a bit unprofessional, it may be exactly that! Clubs are often run on a voluntary basis from members in the club, who all have jobs, etc to do as well, so sometimes running the club can have to take a back seat to other things. Appreciate it can be frustrating though.

If you get really REALLY stuck with Sheffield clubs and have transport, then I know for a fact that Derwent Bowmen at Matlock have a beginners course starting Sunday March 27th. And I think my old man's one of the coaches there, so I know they'll teach it well!

I don't shoot any more but would recommend it to anyone. Best of luck with it and hope that helped.

Thanks guys that is really useful! I do realise that these groups are run by volunteers, but I think waiting 2 months for a reply to a training email is a bit much. I had wanted to get the training as a pressie for my sons 16th which has now been and gone - but I will try these suggestions we dont mind going a bit further a field if need be. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Cityangel,

I've just come across this thread and wondered if you have found a club for your family. If you are still interested then try Abbeydale Archers, I have been with them for two years now and my wife and son also shoot. We are based at De La Salle grounds adjacent to Beauchief Hall off Abbey Lane. Visit the website for contact details or come up on a Saturday or Sunday morning between 9.30 and 12.00 and you can have a chat with one of the committee.

We are a very friendly club with members of all ages. Beginners courses will start in spring so you're planning to join at the right time. Archery is a very addictive sport and all ages can compete evenly. We shoot all types of bow but you'll learn with a recurve bow.

Other clubs in the area are; Arrowflight which seem to have no contact details, Chantry Bowmen of Rotherham, Green Man who shoot at Mexborough and Bowmen of Chesterfield.

Hope you find the info useful.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

Just thought i'd ressurect this thread, just in case you're still interested we have a new archery club at Mosborough and I remember you mentioning you we're in Hackenthorpe. Used to shoot for Abbeydale but now have our own club. Just google aardwolf archers, the site still needs a bit of work but theres some information about us on there or email aardwolfarchers@gmail.com

Archived