On the subjectivity, or objectivity, of language. esp words

do words only ever mean one thing. is the dictionary definition of a word only ever the only valid one?

In fact the precise opposite of that is true. Dictionaries update themselves to reflect how words are being used; they do not prescribe what words must be used to mean. There is no English equivalent of the Academie Francaise which dictates language and meanings.

In fact the precise opposite of that is true. Dictionaries update themselves to reflect how words are being used; they do not prescribe what words must be used to mean. There is no English equivalent of the Academie Francaise which dictates language and meanings.

Dictionaries update themselves to reflect how words are being used; they do not prescribe what words must be used to mean.

that has always been my belief. many words in history started life meaning one thing only for popular use with a different meaning to cause them to change. and, as you say, dictionaries always reflect this. always, more or less, playing catch up, as so to speak.

and, even in 'informal' use the same words shift meaning from group to group. referring a person, always, to a dictionary to say that word means this is not always the 'right' thing to do as most dictionaries, esp paper ones are not always current.

i would say age and geography is the main driving force behind this fluidity in use and meaning.

don't know about the Academie Francaise. will look into that.

which is the perfect place to interject my annoyance at 'woot'. It's got into the dictionary as an expression of delight (or somesuch)

Well, no. The dictionary is wrong :rolleyes: 'Whoop' or 'whoot' are expressions of delight, WOOT is an abbreviation of 'Want One Of Those', so can only be an expression of the thrill of a product for example. It cannot be used to expressed how pleased you are somebody passed their driving test

I think we should have a government department to stamp out illiteracy, and they should start with the Maclaren (buggy) website!

which is the perfect place to interject my annoyance at 'woot'. It's got into the dictionary as an expression of delight (or somesuch)

Well, no. The dictionary is wrong :rolleyes: 'Whoop' or 'whoot' are expressions of delight, WOOT is an abbreviation of 'Want One Of Those', so can only be an expression of the thrill of a product for example. It cannot be used to expressed how pleased you are somebody passed their driving test

I think we should have a government department to stamp out illiteracy, and they should start with the Maclaren (buggy) website!

valid points, all these. but for the people who use it as an expression of delight, are they wrong, if they and those they're speaking to understand what's meant? can it, like many other words, have two or more meanings?

i do hate it when people ask me to 'borrow' them a pen though.

Archived