Should we always obey the law?

So you think that it is correct to shoplift the coat to keep your children warm?

No I don't because there's no need to. Neither would I use 'wealthier friends' as an excuse. You keep building on excuses.

Scenario: I have no alternative but to steal to keep my kids fed or warm. Then yes I would break the law. Are you forgetting alternatives or are you providing us with non? If so where is this world without alternatives to theft?

No I don't because there's no need to. Neither would I use 'wealthier friends' as an excuse. You keep building on excuses.

Scenario: I have no alternative but to steal to keep my kids fed or warm. Then yes I would break the law. Are you forgetting alternatives or are you providing us with non? If so where is this world without alternatives to theft?

So you would gladly let your children go cold and have low self esteem in cheap shoddy second hand coats?

So you would gladly let your children go cold and have low self esteem in cheap shoddy second hand coats?

There are a few charity shops around that sell really nice clothing, that is not shoddy. You just have to use your brains sometimes and not your wallet - the problem with society is alot of people use their wallets first.

There are a few charity shops around that sell really nice clothing, that is not shoddy. You just have to use your brains sometimes and not your wallet - the problem with society is alot of people use their wallets first.

So. It is OK for some children to have very expensive new warm clothes just because their forbears left their parents lots of money, whilst others must wear their castoffs?

No. My Esteem would be high because I would seek the best for my kids through charitable means, and I have raised my children in a way they would understand that. Why are you assuming my self esteem is reliant on theft? And why is what clothing look like as important in relation to what they actually do?

My kids are freezing but to get them warm they must look the part. I think you need to look at your standards rather than suggest others have lower.

Another good Bastiat quote: When law and morality contradict each other, the citizen has the cruel alternative of either losing his moral sense or losing his respect for the law.

Sometimes I think that breaking the law is more morally correct than not breaking it.

Archived