Memories Of the Old Rag & Tag Market

Lostrider

What I wouldn't give to go back and work on the old rag & tag for a day.

That rotting cabbage smell of scraps of veg that had fallen on the floor and been trodden in to the cobbles. The smell of sausage and fried onions coming from Granelli's cafe or the smell of animal droppings as you passed the entrance to Ogleys pet store.

The thundering sound of the metal wheels of the handcarts as they brought there wares to the stalls that were setting up in the morning. Kelly lamps hissing away in the half light, the odour of the paraffin fuel filling the air.

No sound of traffic on the streets around, just the odd squeal & hiss of the brakes of buses as they stopped for the policeman on point duty at the top of Commercial St.

The sound of potty Edwards throwing plates up in the air and catching them as they crashed together, I never saw one single plate break.

As the day wore on more and more people milling about, up & down the aisles. The voices getting louder, the lady on a stall shouting "3 for a bob, come and get em while they last, only three for a bob".

Standing on the cobbels in the winter would make your feet freeze. We used to put plastic bags our feet before we put our boots on a vain attempt to beat Jack Frost.

Then I would get half an hour off for a sandwich in the cafe. I would gobble this down and spend the rest of my lunch break searching through the piles of ex-army parafanalia on Patniks stall or thumb through the American import records on the record stall. I worked Saturdays for 15/- (75p) on one of Alinsons carpet stall (cut Price carpets) if anyone remembers it. Right next to Patniks.

Yes, it would be nice to go back just for a day!

Any one else got memories, favourite stalls, people etc?

Agree with everything you say, wonderful, the boiled sweet stall and the pet shop down the alley at the side, I had a saturday job on one of the record stalls, had the option of being paid ten bob or pay in records, course being young and green i chose records but happy days

Just after the war my Nanan,(as opposed to Grandma !), used to call in the Market every Tuesday on her way from Shiregreen to visit us at Frecheville. It was there that she obtained my 'Tiny Tots' Comic and 2oz of Broken Fishes. Question ! - how come you can purchase all the 'old fashioned' sweets once again but no Broken Fishes ! - Happy Days.:)

Agree with everything you say, wonderful, the boiled sweet stall and the pet shop down the alley at the side, I had a saturday job on one of the record stalls, had the option of being paid ten bob or pay in records, course being young and green i chose records but happy days

The record stall I remember was in the dogleg bit. As you went in at the bottom entrance on Comercial Street it was up in the left corner section. The bit that had the permanent wooden stalls with drop down shutters and proper doors around the edges.

I wonder if anyone will have photos of how it used to look in the 60's?

Just after the war my Nanan' date='(as opposed to Grandma !), used to call in the Market every Tuesday on her way from Shiregreen to visit us at Frecheville. It was there that she obtained my 'Tiny Tots' Comic and 2oz of Broken Fishes. [b']Question ![/b] - how come you can purchase all the 'old fashioned' sweets once again but no Broken Fishes ! - Happy Days.:)

Can you remember any of the charachters in the Tiny Tots. It was a bit before my time I was a Dandy & Beano man. LOL

Granelli's cafe where they sold stewed tea in pint mugs. Ogley's pet store with its barn-like interior - earth floor and cages of puppies, kittens, rabbits, and guinea pigs stacked around the perimeter. Hawkers yelling out racy come-ons to whoever happened to be around. "Come o'er ere an feel me nice, juicy plums, missis." Great atmosphere.

Granelli's cafe where they sold stewed tea in pint mugs. Ogley's pet store with its barn-like interior - earth floor and cages of puppies, kittens, rabbits, and guinea pigs stacked around the perimeter. Hawkers yelling out racy come-ons to whoever happened to be around. "Come o'er ere an feel me nice, juicy plums, missis." Great atmosphere.

-----------

hi, yes yer dead right there was a great, i liked the the market and looking round at the animals every weekend was a must.

this market now is going down pan, what yer think. :huh:

lots of memories, Bill Ogley, first supermarket in Sheffield, most of the seeds buiscuits, etc, prepacked and stacked on counters, so no waiting, for weighing, quick service for customers,free cans of dog/catfoods if buying in bulk. this beats any modern day big stores.even Woolworths buyer, went to Bills, for their stock of petfoods for sale to the public.

You might find some on here.http://www.picturesheffield.com/database_search.php

The record stall I remember was in the dogleg bit. As you went in at the bottom entrance on Comercial Street it was up in the left corner section. The bit that had the permanent wooden stalls with drop down shutters and proper doors around the edges.

I wonder if anyone will have photos of how it used to look in the 60's?

Archived