Memories Of the Old Rag & Tag Market

Lostrider

What I wouldn't give to go back and work on the old rag & tag for a day.

That rotting cabbage smell of scraps of veg that had fallen on the floor and been trodden in to the cobbles. The smell of sausage and fried onions coming from one of the cafes or the smell of animal droppings as you passed the entrance to Ogleys pet store.

The thundering sound of the metal wheels of the handcarts as they brought there wares to the stalls that were setting up in the morning. Kelly lamps hissing away in the half light, the odour of the paraffin fuel filling the air.

No sound of traffic on the streets around, just the odd squeal & hiss of the brakes of buses as they stopped for the policeman on point duty at the top of Commercial St.

The sound of potty Edwards throwing plates up in the air and catching them as they crashed together, I never saw one single plate break.

As the day wore on more and more people milling about, up & down the aisles. The voices getting louder, the lady on a stall shouting "3 for a bob, come and get em while they last, only three for a bob".

Standing on the cobbels in the winter would make your feet freeze. We used to put plastic bags our feet before we put our boots on a vain attempt to beat Jack Frost.

Then I would get half an hour off for a sandwich in the cafe. I would gobble this down and spend the rest of my lunch break searching through the piles of ex-army parafanalia on Patniks stall or thumb through the American import records on the record stall. I worked Saturdays for 15/- (75p) on one of Alinsons carpet stall (cut Price carpets) if anyone remembers it. Right next to Patniks.

Yes, it would be nice to go back just for a day!

Any one else got memories, favourite stalls, people etc?

This is a brilliant post Lostrider living every day Sheffield history. Do you remember any of the Market lads shouting mind your backs as they weaved in and out with there barrows, A tough lot they were with a fearsome reputation;Two of the lads i remember Freddie Sanderson who lived on East Bank Road and Brian Hickey who i think lived at Darnall.

Reading this and over my computer monitor I have a picture of the old rag & tag with all the stalls you have mentioned. The picture is by Terry Gorman.

If it's the one showing Dixon Lane in the winter, I have the same one. It has double memories for me. I met the wife in Stringfellows Penthouse at the top of Dixon Lane.

This is a brilliant post Lostrider living every day Sheffield history. Do you remember any of the Market lads shouting mind your backs as they weaved in and out with there barrows, A tough lot they were with a fearsome reputation;Two of the lads i remember Freddie Sanderson who lived on East Bank Road and Brian Hickey who i think lived at Darnall.

I don't remember them by name, but I certainly remember them. You had to get out of the way sharpish they were never going to stop or alter direction fro anyone. LOL

Just after the war my Nanan' date='(as opposed to Grandma !), used to call in the Market every Tuesday on her way from Shiregreen to visit us at Frecheville. It was there that she obtained my 'Tiny Tots' Comic and 2oz of Broken Fishes. [b']Question ![/b] - how come you can purchase all the 'old fashioned' sweets once again but no Broken Fishes ! - Happy Days.:)

They still do the boiled-sweet fishes in the sweet stall in the market. I loved them as a tot, and I still do! :D

I can get you a quarter if you like, and I'll break them for you, for no extra charge? lol ;)

I can't promise I can lay my hands on a "Tiny Tots" comic though :(

Granelli's cafe where they sold stewed tea in pint mugs. Ogley's pet store with its barn-like interior - earth floor and cages of puppies, kittens, rabbits, and guinea pigs stacked around the perimeter. Hawkers yelling out racy come-ons to whoever happened to be around. "Come o'er ere an feel me nice, juicy plums, missis." Great atmosphere.

OOOOh-er missus! lol

I was only young when the rag and tag closed down, but I remember the atmosphere. We'd (My mum and I) call in the R&T on our way to my gran's on Park Hill Flats.

I remember the puddles on the floor where the asphalt had washed away, and the cardboard box pieces that were lain to soak up the loppy rain-water, and give a (Slightly) drier path for the patrons to walk along.

I remember the lady in the corner who had the massive (brass?) scales "I guess your weight!"

OOOOh-er missus! lol

I was only young when the rag and tag closed down, but I remember the atmosphere. We'd (My mum and I) call in the R&T on our way to my gran's on Park Hill Flats.

I remember the puddles on the floor where the asphalt had washed away, and the cardboard box pieces that were lain to soak up the loppy rain-water, and give a (Slightly) drier path for the patrons to walk along.

I remember the lady in the corner who had the massive (brass?) scales "I guess your weight!"

Yes, we used to put layers of cardboard on the floor behind the stall and in your shoes. yet another way to stave off freezing feet.

I read somewhere else on the forum that the scales were jockey weighing scales and they were alive and well in Blackpool. Can anyone confirm it?

They still do the boiled-sweet fishes in the sweet stall in the market. I loved them as a tot, and I still do! :D

I can get you a quarter if you like, and I'll break them for you, for no extra charge? lol ;)

I can't promise I can lay my hands on a "Tiny Tots" comic though :(

Long may it last.

Archived