Memories Of the Old Rag & Tag Market

Lostrider

lots of memories, Bill Ogley, first supermarket in Sheffield, most of the seeds buiscuits, etc, prepacked and stacked on counters, so no waiting, for weighing, quick service for customers,free cans of dog/catfoods if buying in bulk. this beats any modern day big stores.even Woolworths buyer, went to Bills, for their stock of petfoods for sale to the public.
got my first pigeon from ogleys "keep it in two weeks " then let it out he said ? bought it back off ogley week after!he was a wide boy:hihi:

But, what is the historical Market area? A 1905 map shows no market where Castle Market is. It is titled "Sheffield Castle" and appears to show a number of shops on it. Slaughter houses just outside of the Castle site down by Lady's Bridge. The old Sheaf rag & tag market is clearly labelled with Castlefolds Market directly opposite it. Then there's the Norfolk Market Hall bordered by Dixon Lane and Exchange Street. Fitzalan Market Hall is where C & A (now a different store) was. Then, there was Smithfield Market bordered by Blonk St and Victoria Station Rd. Also, there was the Corn Exchange, bordered by Broad St and Sheaf St.

Conclusion? Yes, that end of town is where the old market areas were situated, but they didn't include where Castle Market now sits. All the old market areas have already been built over. By moving Castle Market, the old Sheffield Castle remains, dating back to the 13th century, can be featured.

The historic market area is actually up the hill, by the Castle Square Supertram stop.(where the old Hole-In-The Road was)

the Banker's Draft "pub" is in Market Place.

The historic market area is actually up the hill, by the Castle Square Supertram stop.(where the old Hole-In-The Road was)

Some one should have told the lord of the manor a thousand years ago he mistakenly granted the charter at the joining of the Don and Sheaf

You might be right PT. When I look at the layout of that end of the city as it is now, it is so different from what I experienced growing up in the 50s and 60s that it is hard to get my bearings. But, was there one historic site or several ones? I'm not a historian, least of all a Sheffield historian, but I suspect that there were several locations, as there indeed were in 1905 on that map I have. The shambles where they slaughtered animals, fish market, rag & tag, etc. The point I'm making is that all of these areas have now been paved over or built upon. Nothing left to save. Castle Market is a 20th century unappealing structure hiding the remains of a 13th century castle. The castle remains seem to have more historic value to me and they should see the light of day.

I have a George Cunningham painting of the Rag and Tag hanging in my living room. I looked at it again tonight, for the first time in years. There used to be an old lady with a chair scale in the market. She would weigh you for a penny. Also on Saturdays there was sometimes a cheapjack who gathered a crowd with his entertaining talk, stopping at intervals to sell his wares. One of them was selling some pills which had no specific function except to make you young again, so it seemed. He did warn his listeners at intervals not to give it to young people as it would make them mature before their time. Being only 14 I didn't understand.

I have a George Cunningham painting of the Rag and Tag hanging in my living room. I looked at it again tonight, for the first time in years. There used to be an old lady with a chair scale in the market. She would weigh you for a penny. Also on Saturdays there was sometimes a cheapjack who gathered a crowd with his entertaining talk, stopping at intervals to sell his wares. One of them was selling some pills which had no specific function except to make you young again, so it seemed. He did warn his listeners at intervals not to give it to young people as it would make them mature before their time. Being only 14 I didn't understand.

This is the only picture I could find: weighing scales

I feel sure I've asked this question before but here goes.

Dose any one remember the "Dancing Mickey's".

An old guy with a tray full used to sell them in the 40s at one of the rag and tag entrances on Sheaf street.

They were a painted Mickey Mouse made of chalk with springs for arms legs and neck and a length of elastic coming out of the head.

I loved them, I must have had one every time we went into the market and it had always fallen to pieces by the time I got it home...

Archived