Memories Of the Old Rag & Tag Market

Lostrider

This is a brilliant post Lostrider living every day Sheffield history. Do you remember any of the Market lads shouting mind your backs as they weaved in and out with there barrows, A tough lot they were with a fearsome reputation;Two of the lads i remember Freddie Sanderson who lived on East Bank Road and Brian Hickey who i think lived at Darnall.

I knew Brian Hickey he died a few years ago, another one was Billy Fidler he worked for Big Ada, he is 78 years old now.

A few years ago now cuttsie I went to the funeral, he used to booze with us at the George at Woodhouse.

Was that when that lovely blond lass kept it was her name Loraine? All i remember is that she was a cracker.

Oh hang on a minute it could have been the Stag i am thinking about .

Was that when that lovely blond lass kept it was her name Loraine? All i remember is that she was a cracker.

Oh hang on a minute it could have been the Stag i am thinking about .

Brian Hickey went in the george for decades pal and a few Landlords and Landladies have had it.

I just want to say a big "THANK YOU" to all those who remembered the dancing Micky's...

You have made an old man very happy....:thumbsup:

hiya .. old man he he, do you remember also the dunking emu ,it was stood at the side of a glass of water and dipping its beak in and out of the water never did work that one out as a kid.

• 4 months later...

I've read through all the previous posts hoping to find details of the market gardeners market which was in an offshoot (if I remember right) of the old rag n tag. I have vague memories that you entered it through a large archway. It then consisted of a single corridor with stalls, selling fruit, veg and plants, either side. Any other memories please?

I'll put you out of your misery rodnreeluk . I can remember the market garden bit too cos it was my favourite area. I loved looking at the plants as my Mum and me did the shop. I would always badger her to take one home and once in a while she would give in and buy me one . I can remember getting a gorgeous Gloxinia and later on ,an African Violet too.she once bought me some Sweet William seeds there to and they came up lovely outside our front window. I would have been about 8 or 9 at the time .i think you could walk in the front big door as you say and straight out the back because we used to walk that way out on our way home to get the bus .

Thanks mrs grissom. You've confirmed some of my memories. I think it would be in the mid to late 50's when I would be taken there (between me being 5 and 10 years old). I deliberately didn't mention being able to walk straight through it as I was unsure, but that is also my memory. The other part of my visits was a walk around the nearby pet shop.

My Mum used to take me as a treat to buy odd scraps of material for pennies to make clothes for my doll. A special treat was a piece of white lace or net to make a doll's wedding dress. On the way home, weused to call at the sweet stall to buy gob-stoppers, "marry-me-quick", fish mixture and licorice sticks. Years later, when collecting for my bottom-drawer, I laid away a dinner and tea service and paid weekly for it - believe it was Edwards stall. Happy memories.

Archived