Memories Of the Old Rag & Tag Market

Lostrider

Thanks mrs grissom. You've confirmed some of my memories. I think it would be in the mid to late 50's when I would be taken there (between me being 5 and 10 years old). I deliberately didn't mention being able to walk straight through it as I was unsure, but that is also my memory. The other part of my visits was a walk around the nearby pet shop.

That would have been before my time rodnreeluk , I wasn't born till late fifties so it must have been a market garden area for quite a while .Thinking again about it ,I was probably a bit younger than ten when we used to go there . I'm not sure when the market actually closed tbh. I seem to remember that the famous brass weighing chair was situated outside the big doors to it and the 'Potty Edwards" stall was just to one corner then ,but that might jut be my memory playing up .

• 6 months later...

I worked in ogley's pet shop up to the rag market going into the new sheaf market, It was the best job ever bill ogley was a great boss, there was never a dull moment working there, i loved working in the market and looked forward to going to work, all the staff was nice i often think about them and would love to get back in touch, i still miss it even after all these years, cant say that about any of my other jobs that i had,

I worked in ogley's pet shop up to the rag market going into the new sheaf market, It was the best job ever bill ogley was a great boss, there was never a dull moment working there, i loved working in the market and looked forward to going to work, all the staff was nice i often think about them and would love to get back in touch, i still miss it even after all these years, cant say that about any of my other jobs that i had,

It seems as though Sheffields traditional Market days are soon to be a thing of the past due to our forward looking council who seem to think that some how a move to the bottom of the Moor will work wonders.

I would love some photos of the pet shop, it was right at the enterance to the market, i have been looking on different websites but not much luck, looking back they were the best days of my life but getting up on a ice cold morning to stand all day in a barn with no heating didn't seem like it at the time, the market people was so friendly,no two days were the same, what i wouldn't give to go back in time, it's true you don't know what you have till it's gone,

I would love some photos of the pet shop, it was right at the enterance to the market, i have been looking on different websites but not much luck, looking back they were the best days of my life but getting up on a ice cold morning to stand all day in a barn with no heating didn't seem like it at the time, the market people was so friendly,no two days were the same, what i wouldn't give to go back in time, it's true you don't know what you have till it's gone,

There is a photo of Ogley's on facebook, here .. http://www.facebook.com

Archived