House Insurance After Flooding

Does anyone who was flooded back in 2007 have any tips for getting insurance these days?

We've tried ringing lots of insurers, as the comparisons websites automatically reject you as soon as you tick flood, but are getting the same story from everyone we call (even though our claim was only £4k as we had minimal damage and water) Everyone keeps telling us to "get a quote from the insurer you were with at the time of the flood" only they've been bought out by a new firm who won't quote us - does this mean we're up S**t creek sans paddle?

If anyone has any flood friendly insurers, please let me know. We've looked at the one the environment agency recommends but they want £200 up front to inspect the "flood defence measures" we've put in place, but as we only got rising flood water in the cellar, there are no measures we can take (other than tanking which doesn't help and isn't economically viable in a little terrace) and the only quote we can get is for over £1300 pa which is more than 4 times our last policy and not affordable in the current climate.

I've been flooded twice at two different houses and kept the same insurer throughout. I've tried phoning for alternative quotes, but no one will touch the house which was flooded by river water, at least for the next few years, even though good flood defences have now been put in place by the Environment Agency and the chances of it happening again are minimal.

Ring Fletcher Smith Insurance 2333175 they are at the bottom of Wadsley Lane, ask for Andy, they have an insurer that will cover properties that were flooded but the policy will exclude flood cover, where as all other insurers will not cover at all. At least you would have cover for all other perils.

I want to know when things are going to change regards this. I mean it was freak conditions. I had an offer accepted on a house that had been flooded. I wasnt unduly concerned but Aviva who do HSBC's underwriting knocked it back and therefore HSBC wouldnt mortage it. Surely nobody can have sold a flooded home since 2007 and wont be doing until things change? I feel deeply for the people this affects

we were flooded in both 2007 and 2009 by the freak weather, both because of a council tennent neighbour building over the drain and a 3 year fight with the Rotherham council to clear it.

however my insurance has remained about £33 a month, i've had halifax and abbey. (note im not in a flood plain)

Archived