I have peugeot 306 20l hdi only doing 30 miles to gallon does anybody know

It should do more than that. I have a 1996 Astra TD at 128k and I averaged 40-42 mpg since the cold weather started and this is mixed driving around Sheffield, sometimes just the 3 miles to the supermarket. On a run it goes up to the early 50s and taken steady on the motorway does almost 60mpg. I do drive for economy, though.

A friend has got a 2004 Focus diesel 1.8 which he bought new and achieves over 50mpg without trying (mixed driving). He has just driven up from his home on the southern coast of Spain (1700 miles) and said that the mpg display on the dash was regularly showing over 70mpg, although he now has one of these engine "re-mapping" devices which he says has had a remarkable effect on power and economy.

As said previously cold weather has an effect on fuel consumption ,newer cars with lighter alluminium engines and progressive electronic engine management systems get to their optimum operating temperature quicker but it could be ready for new glow plugs and a good service always helps.

I've had a few 306 diesels. They aren't as economical in the winter but it should return more. I'd do a service, swap the glow plugs, stick on a new battery perhaps and do a full check of all air pipes for leaks.

My current car is a 307 and that's doing about 50-55 mpg.

Archived