At what age should our kids leave the nest?

DD left at 19 to work in the USA, and apart from staying with us between jobs when she's moved cities or countries has never lived at home again. DS also left at 19 to go to University, came home for the holidays, and again when he graduated but couldn't find work. He got a local job of sorts, but then went off again a year later to Uni for another year. He then got a decent job almost immediately in Cheshire, and has never lived at home since. So for about 16 years, we've been on our own.

Neither of our kids expected to get their own place, and both lived in shared houses and flats for quite a few years. Thats what their friends mainly did too. They valued their independence - and so did we! They were both in their 30s before they got mortgages.

You never truly leave, your parents home will always be home. I left 18-22, back 22-23, left 23-27 and now am back pending new home completing its sale. I hope not to be back but my Mrs is way out of my league. Divorce, financial ruin and my parents back bedroom beckon. If shes never left by thirty you definitely need to consider buying an investment property and asking her to 'look after it for a while'. Either that of feign early senility and become dependent, shell be gone like a shot

it's in Italy my babes.

And that too. I don't want to freak you out. But this is my 666 post on the SF. I'm going to lay down on my deckchair and count backwards from One Hundred. It might fend evil sprits or David Icke away from me. This is a land mark post. Never thought I could get this far.

My SF speech on such matters has being handed over to a Hollywood screenwriter. He is not answering his calls. He must be busy. I thank you all for your help.

Archived