At what age should our kids leave the nest?

I don't like the talk of a 'property ladder'

It's something I don't understand, also I don't understand how (after watching several property programs) having 1 child means you suddenly "need" a 4 bedroom house.

Maybe it is a safeguard just incase the kids are somnambulists.

might be. but they say it like it's an accepted fact - "well were having a baby so we will need 4 bedrooms" - then they go on to spend every penny they have on this huge house

Ours is a thirtysomething and still at home. My wife keeps wrapping her sandwhiches for work up in a road map, but she never takes the hint.

She has recently been asking searching questions about the house. Do you think that she is plotting something?:suspect:

So should we tell them to leave at some stage. If so, at what age?

Tell your wife to stop making the sandwhiches! :loopy: Also, put up the rent and start making rediculous rules etc!

I moved out at 17 but moved back with my parents when I was 20 for a few months! I must admit, having all my wages to spend on anything I wanted (they charged me £60 rent) was brilliant! But, my mother made sure my life was so misserable I had to get out :hihi: sure enough after a few months I was moved out.

Comparative figures were released in the star the other day.

http://www.thestar.co.uk/news/Average-house-142964-average-wage.6687441.jp

The average house price in Sheffield should be around £70000.

I assume you base that on 3.5 times the average salary? I think the long term average is 4 times actually, but in the long term it's likely that the trend will be restored, partly by falling house prices and partly through inflating income.

Funnily enough many council policies were designed to increase property prices. Sadly, there were multiple policies which overlapped.

Specifically encouraging immigration and knocking down houses, along with part privatisation of council properties through giving them away, paying to give them away and selling them off on the cheap.

I think you might be confusing council policy with central government policy, and I don't personally believe that the government (at any level) should be a provider of housing, the private market should be taking care of it.

Which now leaves the city with high immigration

Not really.
and a lack of council houses for the 'born and bred Sheffielders'.

And why would where you were born be relevant?

I've been lamenting these policies since 2000, 7 years before I joined this forum.

We've willingly destroyed our standards of living, but now we expect people in the third world to pay for our mistakes and that is very unfair.

I don't like the talk of a 'property ladder', there isn't one. A house is to live in, if anything it is a liability, not an asset. You must keep it in good repair and pay council tax (or some other VAT/land value style tax which is being proposed).

That might be true, if everyone bought one house and then lived in it until they die. They don't though, they buy a starter home, then a family home, then in some cases a larger family home, then maybe a down size at some point. There's definitely a ladder affect as people move up through the size/quality and price of housing as they progress through life.

It's something I don't understand, also I don't understand how (after watching several property programs) having 1 child means you suddenly "need" a 4 bedroom house.

'Need' is relative isn't it. I have no children and find that my three bedroom house is a bit on the small side. I don't 'need' anything bigger, but I do want something bigger.

Some children would like to move out but can't, but I suspect an awful lot more know a good deal when they see one, and living at home, often rent free, being looked after by Mother is the best deal there is.

I fear that this last generation of kids have very unrealistic expectations of the future and think it's going to be like the ones they read about in glossy magazines.

They are the product of 'child centred education' and 'child centred upbringing.' In other words they think the world revolves round them, and find real life hard to deal with. Many fail to realise that it's usually necessary to start at the bottom and work your way up, and that this applies to housing as much as anything else.

Comparative figures were released in the star the other day.

http://www.thestar.co.uk/news/Average-house-142964-average-wage.6687441.jp

The average house price in Sheffield should be around £70000.

Funnily enough many council policies were designed to increase property prices. Sadly, there were multiple policies which overlapped.

Specifically encouraging immigration and knocking down houses, along with part privatisation of council properties through giving them away, paying to give them away and selling them off on the cheap.

Which now leaves the city with high immigration and a lack of council houses for the 'born and bred Sheffielders'.

I've been lamenting these policies since 2000, 7 years before I joined this forum.

We've willingly destroyed our standards of living, but now we expect people in the third world to pay for our mistakes and that is very unfair.

I don't like the talk of a 'property ladder', there isn't one. A house is to live in, if anything it is a liability, not an asset. You must keep it in good repair and pay council tax (or some other VAT/land value style tax which is being proposed).

My bold

I quite agree with you that a house is to live in and not just an asset, but the property ladder does, quite sensibly, exist for many people.

People may only be able to afford a 1-bedroom flat to start with, so they buy that, then move to a bigger property when they can afford to/want to have children. Or perhaps they start in a poorer area and move to be nearer to a good school for their children. Or somebody who really wants to live in the country, with a huge garden to enjoy, will start off in the inner-city and gradually move up the ladder until they can afford their dream house.

Although they are using their property as asset, it's also their home, and they're better spending their money on a mortgage, rather than on rent.

I think a lot of the problems these days are because some people want their "last home" first!! They're not happy to settle for a small terrace but want to start off in a new, 4-bedroomed house on a nice estate, the sort of place that would have been their parents' dream house!

Archived