Is loyalty to the crown a pre-requisite to being a worthwhile citizen?

You think that being willing to swear allegiance to some old woman because of her birth is a positive and better attitude than say, oh I don't know, the idea that every man should have equal chance in life, y'know, the kind of ideas your country was founded upon?

I think my attitude is much more positive.

It's what the "old woman" represents that matters. She is the recognized head of state is she not?

If I thought like you I would dismiss the US Constitution as a mere piece of ancient paper with a bit of writing on it.

From my perspective the Queen and what she represents is a unifying entity in a country that is very much divided politically just as the Constitution works the same way in the US

From my perspective the Queen and what she represents is a unifying entity in a country that is very much divided politically just as the Constitution works the same way in the US

Sad that people in this country can not see this.

It seems that those who want to abolish the monarchy would like to replace it with a president presumably elected by political choice but that seems to be useless duplication of effort as the real political power lies with the Prime Minister and his cabinet already.

Also a politically elected president would hardly unify the country and in fact contribute to even further disunity.

The presidential system works well in the US because although many Americans may not particularly like the politics of the president in office the unifying force is always the constitution and the flag

Sad that people in this country can not see this.

It seems that those who want to abolish the monarchy would like to replace it with a president presumably elected by political choice but that seems to be useless duplication of effort as the real political power lies with the Prime Minister and his cabinet already.

Also a politically elected president would hardly unify the country and in fact contribute to even further disunity.

The presidential system works well in the US because although many Americans may not particularly like the politics of the president in office the unifying force is always the constitution and the flag

You know, if we got rid of the Queen, we'd probably have a President. When Blair was in power, everybody moaned about his Presidential style. :roll:

The grass isn't always greener as they say.

You know, if we got rid of the Queen, we'd probably had a president. When Blair was in power, everybody moaned about his Presidential style. :roll:

How about Cheree Blair as Britains First Lady? That's a thought to scare anyone :hihi:

I think most of theose who wish to abolish the monarchy just wish to abolish it, end of story.

I think most of theose who wish to abolish the monarchy just wish to abolish it, end of story.

And they wouldnt have a clue as to how to go about replacing it.

It was tried once under Oliver Cromwell but I guess it didnt work too well as after he was dead and buried they dug up his body, hung it and then chopped the head off :hihi:

I totally agree with every word you said. I lived in Canada some years ago and had to kneel down with a bible and pledge my allegiance to their government (not their royalty who was ours) before I was excepted as a Canadian citizen just for policies and procedures). Do we still do this here ? As you say the Queen and her offspring come from the hieracy I do like to listen to the news but they are so far away from the REAL LIFE that we all live in that I prefer to not make any judgements about them because I am quite happy with the way my life is going for the time being...... I was out of work for 4 years and then I got on with things and did my own thing. Now im in work so this is why im quite happy as the job ive got enables me to have a good life and I really do love my job. Well im going on one here so please just read this and enjoy.

You know, if we got rid of the Queen, we'd probably have a President. When Blair was in power, everybody moaned about his Presidential style. :roll:

I cant believe what every one is saying here about electing a government or abolishing the queen, as really its us normal people that has the power we are either too lazy, too scared of making a difference or too worried that their voice wont be heard above all the news about petrol prices, budget cuts, job losses etc etc etc. Why for our sakes get off our back sides and start to stand up for our rights as its us thats allowing all this to happen. We are just a lazy load all of us. Its no good putting our thoughts on this forum if we aren't prepared to stand up and be counted. I would be very willing to make our Sheffield City Council listen to us if this is what it needs. I promise any one who takes a stand with me on this. Any one interested then let me know. Thanks.

Archived