Is loyalty to the crown a pre-requisite to being a worthwhile citizen?

I owe the Crown sod all as they have done sod all for me .I don't care about the royal family and surly they don't care for me.When i die they won't shed a tear and equally when one of them drops of their perch i will not shed a tear for them, so i guess its quits.

Are the two mutually exclusive? I might consider myself both.

I find the term "subject" (in the case in question) quite offensive as it implies subservience, and I don't accept that any individual should have "control or authority" over another (which is what the word means in this context).

The term reminds me of the fact that we (the people) have no true representation and parliament was simply set up to keep the ruling elite in power.

The Royals don't own it the "Crown" does which is a lot different. .

The Crown Estate will get up to £250 million per annum of which the Royals will directly be given up to £37.5 million, and much of the remainder will no doubt also benefit them indirectly, so not a lot different really.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1323228/Queens-38m-year-offshore-windfarm-windfall--owns-seabed.htm

Its leased and the company running the wind farm pays it not us. .

You do appreciate that they will pass the expense on to their customers (us) in the form of higher charges?

in fact the Royals own very little in the way of land or property.

For starters, the queen owns 120,000 hectares of agricultural land, the considerable anual revenues of which go to her.

Not as drastic as the French however, using the guillotine to solve the problem, or the Russians with a firing squad.

I'm (generally) anti-capital punishment, but, if they won't go willingly...:hihi:.

I'd truly love England to become a republic, but people take time to convince.

The fact is that you are a subject....

I'm not sure that's true, according to this the term isn't applicable any more:

British citizens are not British subjects under the 1981 Act. The only circumstance where a person may be both a British subject and British citizen simultaneously is a case where a British subject connected with Ireland (s. 31 of the 1981 Act) acquires British citizenship by naturalisation or registration.

-Wikipedia: British subject

Personally i'm not loyal to the Crown, royal family, or even patriotic. I consider myself a global citizen regardless of my legal/residential status :thumbsup:

I'm (generally) anti-capital punishment, but, if they won't go willingly...:hihi:.

I'd truly love England to become a republic, but people take time to convince.

How would England be better off by becoming a republic? The idea might have had some merit a few centuries ago when some kings were powerful despots but that is hardly the case today.

Maybe anti-monarchists would gain the satisfaction of seeing hereditary wealth and privlege brought to an end but that would only be a momentary triumph. There would still be the same day to day problems to deal with and how much power would a president be given? How would the power be divided between he and the prime minister? You'd almost have to scrap the whole parliamentary system of government and replace it with something else. That would take years and a few billion quid not to mention the chaos, bickering and divisions which would ensue during the transition assuming that it would reach a succesful conclusion.

There's nothing wrong with the system as it now is. It works well for the country as the same system does for the other leading democracies, Canada, Australia and New Zealand

It works well for the country as the same system does for the other leading democracies, Canada, Australia and New Zealand

Australia are trying to sever ties with the monarchy, as are NZ. Who's the king/queen of Canada?

Archived