Is loyalty to the crown a pre-requisite to being a worthwhile citizen?

I don't think that Canada existed during Queen Elizabeth's I reign.

I know that some Scottish people consider the current Queen to be Queen Elizabeth I as Henry VIII's daughter wasn't queen of Scotland, they had their own Monarch at that time.

By the same token, James the sixth of Scotland became James the first of the then new United Kingdom. When I became a Canadian Citizen in 1974 I remained a British Subject on my Canadian passport, but that didn't help me any at Heathrow when I had to wait in line with the "aliens " while Europeans walked right in unchecked.

The Canadian flag up until sometime in the mid 1960s had the Union Jack as part of the flag. When Lester Pearson became Canadian Prime Minister the flag was redesigned to become the red and white tricolor with the maple leaf insignia instead.

A lot of Canadians were royally p****d off contemptuously referring to it as "Pearson's Penant"

The original concept for the flag of Canada was the French tricolor superimposed with a maple leaf. You can imagine how popular that would have been west of Quebec, and east of New Brunswick.

I haven't read the whole thread, but in answer to the original question, no, it isn't a requirement to support the monarchy in order to be a worthwhile citizen. Many people seem to be confused, and don't see that it is entirely possible to be fully loyal to this nation and it's people, and not support the monarchy.

Plenty of nations don't seem to have any difficulty with this.

Home Office.gov.uk - British Citizenship Ceremony

Preparing for the ceremony

When you attend your ceremony you are required to make an oath of allegiance (or you can make an affirmation if you prefer not to swear by God) and a pledge. The words of the oath, affirmation and pledge are all given below. You may wish to practise saying the oath or affirmation, and the pledge, before you attend the ceremony.

Oath of allegiance

I (name) swear by Almighty God that on becoming a British citizen, I will be faithful and bear true allegiance to Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth the Second, her Heirs and Successors, according to law.

Affirmation of allegiance

I (name) do solemnly, sincerely and truly declare and affirm that on becoming a British citizen, I will be faithful and bear true allegiance to Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth the Second, her Heirs and Successors, according to law.
Pledge

I will give my loyalty to the United Kingdom and respect its rights and freedoms. I will uphold its democratic values. I will observe its laws faithfully and fulfil my duties and obligations as a British citizen.

There is a ceremony for new citizens, yes.

So a lot of naysayers on the thread can be thankful they were born in the UK

Had it been otherwise they would have been rejected for UK citizenship due to their refusal to go through the Affirmation of Allegience.

Just proves something that an immigration officer once told me.

That immigrants quite often have a better attitude and a more positive outlook towards their new country than the citizens who were born there

The original concept for the flag of Canada was the French tricolor superimposed with a maple leaf. You can imagine how popular that would have been west of Quebec, and east of New Brunswick.

You would often see a lot of buildings in Montreal flying the Quebec flag only.

You'd never see the state flag without the stars and stripes also in the US that's for certain.

Northern irish nationalists also pay tax to the British government. How inconsistent of them?

It's not; they gain the benefit of very heavily subsidised services there.

But the Sinn Fein MPs draw the salary/expenses for a job that they shirk.

Archived