Selling flooded home?

A few months back I had an offer accepted on a house that had been flooded in the 2007 wet spell. I wasnt unduly concerned (realising its unlikely to be a bi-monthly occurence) but Aviva who do HSBC's underwriting knocked it back for insurance, and therefore HSBC wouldnt mortgage it.

I want to know when things are going to change regards the treatment of flooded homes by insurance companies? I mean the 2007 events were freak conditions. Surely nobody can have sold a flooded home since 2007 and wont be doing until things change? I feel deeply for the people this affects and wonder guys have any of you succesfully overcome this?

Ok well my experience was different and as per the thread running on here about insurance except for the insurer at the time of flood nobody else will touch the properties. There must be many other people like me who were given the knock back on a property because its previously wet status?

You have to be insured and I am lead to believe that most companies unless obliged because they insuring the flooded home at the time of said flood will not insure a flooded home. Ergo, no mortgage. I was advised that it works on post code and a full stuctural engineers report can be obtained to help obtain insurance, however knowing full well the report will say in extreme rain the house is susceptible this wont help. I am surprised to have no one pouring their heart out so far. I thought many people would be suffering long term because of these floods so thought Id ask, glad I did as perhaps my experience isnt typical at all

Archived