Uk citizen moving to EU country

Looking on Direct Gov I found that any UK citizen has the right to reside in any EU country such as Romania, Spain, Italy, Poland, Ireland plus others which I can't remember!. Now looking on British embassy website they state similar to Direct Gov however that you must apply for residence in an EU Country now if a UK citizen has the right to live in a EU country why do we have to apply for residence.

I know if you were to move somewhere such as America or Austrialia and New Zealand you need to have a permit - visa and a valid reason such as employment, marriage or even student visa.

Now to my question about moving to an EU country based on what the embassy has in place can a UK citizen be refused residence in an EU country if we have the right to move there?.

If you take residence in another EU country then your status changes from British resident to XYZ resident. Ie you are subject to their taxes etc. you would have to take residence if you spend over a certain amount of time there, I think this varies country to country. It is highly unlikely you would be refused residence unless you were a wanted criminal in another EU nation.

That sounds a bit confusing, i think you have the right to live and work in another EU country and only need to apply for residency if you intend living there permanently. I dont have permanent residence status and nor do i want it but work , pay tax and am eligible for benifits including a state pension.

That sounds a bit confusing, i think you have the right to live and work in another EU country and only need to apply for residency if you intend living there permanently. I dont have permanent residence status and nor do i want it but work , pay tax and am eligible for benifits including a state pension.

So you are fiscally resident in Sweden, even if you don't have or want permenant residence. So for tax/benefits purposes you are a resident of Sweden, not the UK.

So you are fiscally resident in Sweden, even if you don't have or want permenant residence. So for tax/benefits purposes you are a resident of Sweden, not the UK.

Im not realy sure how to reply to that you obviously know more about it than me ,im just trying to help by using my own situation as an example and for those out there that think im a sponging expat I also continue to pay national insurance in the uk and do come over occasional to work and pay tax there too.

Archived