Anybody bought a car from The Car People

Indeed-y ;)

Posted your (local) experience in the 'Motors' section yet? Peeps in there are forever lurking on UK cars to import...then asking about ways and means to dodge the VRT :hihi:

Tis true, we're a nation of would-be scoundrels..just lack that final bit of gumption...theres no dodging the VRT tho...and our glorious leaders would have a fit if they thought the plebs were 'getting away' with anything...all together now....WE NEED THE DOSH...

Enjoyed the trip to Sheffield tho, hadnt been there in years...nice countryside, snow etc...and the carry-on with the car isn't that important in the scheme of things...

theres no dodging the VRT tho
There is, and I did. Though it was the only legal exception of which I am aware (well, for a private owner/no business involved, that is): you need to own the car at least 6 months prior to import, and be a non-resident for the time of that ownership. Had to dig long and low to find that one (IIRC, was before the relevant 'VRT sticky' went up in Motors, and to which I contributed my bit at the time) ;)

Enjoyed the trip to Sheffield tho, hadnt been there in years...nice countryside, snow etc...and the carry-on with the car isn't that important in the scheme of things...
Glad you had an enjoyable time around here, come back soon :) (...WE NEED THE DOSH TOO! :D)

You using the same nick on Boards? 'Fairly sure that I remember your nick from some threads on there (I'm usually around Motors, Films, Games and Airsoft, and much more of a lurker since I've been back to the UK).

There is, and I did. Though it was the only legal exception of which I am aware (well, for a private owner/no business involved, that is): you need to own the car at least 6 months prior to import, and be a non-resident for the time of that ownership. Had to dig long and low to find that one (IIRC, was before the relevant 'VRT sticky' went up in Motors, and to which I contributed my bit at the time) ;)

Glad you had an enjoyable time around here, come back soon :) (...WE NEED THE DOSH TOO! :D)

You using the same nick on Boards? 'Fairly sure that I remember your nick from some threads on there (I'm usually around Motors, Films, Games and Airsoft, and much more of a lurker since I've been back to the UK).

Yup, worked in sunny London late 80s, brought back a big white petrol Passat using that exemption , thought I was God..

Poke thru boards for whatevers relevant to my needs at the minute...today??faulty dishwasher...its a terrific resource..

Best of luck back on Maggies Farm anyways...

Yup, worked in sunny London late 80s, brought back a big white petrol Passat using that exemption , thought I was God..

Poke thru boards for whatevers relevant to my needs at the minute...today??faulty dishwasher...its a terrific resource..

Best of luck back on Maggies Farm anyways...

and to you mate :wave:

• 3 weeks later...

A mate of mine went to look at a Alfa, the salesman was talking some right crap. He said it had a Q2 service, which he said comprised of 'checking the tyre pressures, checking the oil filter???? and cleaning it inside and out. I nearly died laughing. I'd hate to see what a Q1 service is. He can't have done a good job cause the one of the tyres had a big cut in it.

Anyway he went on to have a look a the car he was part exchanging, he had a clipboard with him, gave it a test drive which meant he drove it about 50m to end of yard and back. No idea what point of that was. Then he started to go on about this delivery charge of £32. The car was literally 10ft away from where we were sat. Delivery to where?

He got face on after we queried that. I think he thought we were taking the p**s out of him in the end. Which to be fair we were.

The price you see on the site is the price you pay, but be very careful. I would recommend getting the car checked out by a mechanic before you sign anything. I paid £4k for my car and so far have spent about that in repairs on top. Including a new automatic gearbox. Not what you'd expect from a car that's only done 17000 miles. If I were you i'd just go to Direct Cars. They are so much better.

Do you think gearboxes dont go wrong anywhere else including Direct cars? :rolleyes:

Autos going wrong is common if theres little or no warrenty then your braver than me but you can hardly slate the dealer who didnt twist your arm into anything.You chose to leave yourself open to them costs,no one else.

• 4 weeks later...

Please please do not buy from these people, I purchased a car from them 09/03/13 - not two weeks ago, I arrived for hand over and none of the bodywork had been done so I had to wait while they did it, which stupidly took me away from checking other stuff. I had two punctures by the following Friday which brought to my attention that my tyres were practically bald. I took it to Kwick Fit the same day and they confirmed it was on the legal limit of 1.6mm. I contact car People and they said they would have the car in and re-measure the tread as it was there standard to work to 2mm (which doesn't allow for general use & wear and tear), the spare key didn't work either. They sent an employee to collect my car, they had it for 5hrs and returned it with only the two punctures fixed, not happy!! I took it to ATS who then found a hole down to the cords. Two of the other tyres are from 2008 and my car is a 2011 plate. They fixed the spare key or repleaced the battery as the spare key is not working again, the rear brakes have now started to make a noise as if worn. My car as I type is having an MOT even though it is not due until June 2014 and I have I have been told it will more than likely fail. Car people will not tell me what has happened to my part ex, provide new tyres or give me a refund, I paid alot of money and do not expect to have to go out and buy new tyres for a vehicle that has just done over 23000 miles. Disgusting, i went down Saturday afternoon and told everyone in there including customers exactly what they have done and blocked the entrance, they have not heard the last from me. DO NOT BUY FROM THEM, check the cars tyres and history of the vehicle as most are bought from auctions and are ex fleet or hire cars.

• 1 month later...

Why buy from any dealer,they all charge rip off prices.Buy private.If you are not mechanically minded one of the motoring organisations will do a thorough vehicle inspection for a realistic figure,they will also do a vehicle indemnity check.If you want a warranty you can buy that.Most dealers only offer a miserly one months warranty and this is usually insurance based,so if anything goes wrong they just refer you to the insurance company.If you need finance arrange your own,you will get a much better deal than from the dealer.In the end you will be quids in,and you can still sell your own car for a better price than they will give you.

• 2 years later...

Do not buy a car from the car people

I purchased a 1 year old Renault Megan paid £11,000 cash for it. A month after buying the car the service light came on. I was told is wasn't serviced as it had not reached the millage although I was a year old and you would expect any car sales garages to at very least service a car before handing it over to a customer. I finally got the car people to service it but the next day the brake light system failure light lit I contacted the car people who were very relaxed about it and said it just needed topping up I took it back three times before they decided there was a serious fault they then states that the car was not safe to use but could not provide me with a light home or a courtesy car. I was told it needed a brake and cluch master cylinder. I git the car back and was giving it a Hoover the carpet in the front door well was wet and on inspection this was brake fluid. Brake fluid is corrosive and dangerous to health when inhaled. I reported this back to car people they have offered to hoover the carpet after speaking to an independent garage I have been told the carpet wil rot and the toxic from the brake fluid is not in my heating system which I will be breathing in. The car people do not see any issue with this.

I recently bought a car from the car people. Had a couple of minor niggles that they sorted very efficiently. The admin fee covers doing a check on your trade in plus cleaning your new car before delivery. If you're not trading a car in then this admin fee is optional although they don't make that very clear. If I bought from them again I would refuse to pay it as the cleaning job wasn't that great, could do better myself in an hour or so.

I fell for the £129 supaguard treatment but wouldn't again, not convinced they've done anything other than polish it really. I took out a 2 year warranty for just under £400 for peace of mind and hopefully will never find out how good or bad it is!

All in all a good buying and aftersales experience and I would buy from there again.

A good servicable car can be bought for this wasted £529 ,and with a years test on it.If sold after 6 months it is easy to sell with 6 months test and also possibly make a small profit.Why buy expensive cars when they cost an arm and a leg to fix?