John Mohammed Butt: The hippy who became an imam

Seems like a sound bloke. And what he says is just further evidence that expansionist Islamic fundamentalism doesn't originate among ordinary Muslims, but from an Arabian sect called Wahabists - you know, the ones we buy oil off, and sell weapons to - who use their money and influence to take over and subvert more peaceful forms of Islam.

Seems like a sound bloke. And what he says is just further evidence that expansionist Islamic fundamentalism doesn't originate among ordinary Muslims, but from an Arabian sect called Wahabists - you know, the ones we buy oil off, and sell weapons to - who use their money and influence to take over and subvert more peaceful forms of Islam.

Quite.

I worked in Pakistan during 1982 and 83, but I wouldn't go there now.

Islam itself originated from an Arabian sect.

And Christianity came from another sect which originated in that general region. However, I don't think either religion espouses the idea that religious purity and understanding is dependent on ethnicity or geographical location, as some Gulf Arabs of the wahaist sect seem to think.

Archived