Jimmy hagen sheffield united

michael g

when jimmy finished his footballing career he went on to manage benfica from 70 to 73 won 3 titles and a cup died in 1998 aged 80 did you know wednesday tried to sign him for a fee of 32 thousand at 32 years old which would have been a record at the time

when jimmy finished his footballing career he went on to manage benfica from 70 to 73 won 3 titles and a cup died in 1998 aged 80 did you know wednesday tried to sign him for a fee of 32 thousand at 32 years old which would have been a record at the time

Brilliant forward, and I'm a wednesdayite. Yes, Feb 1951 that offer was made. In those days salaries were set so there would have been no financial advantage to Hagan in moving. He turned it down.Two years earlier, the Owls tried unsuccessfully to sign Alf Ramsay from Southampton.

My grandad said it was between him and Jackie Robinson who was the best player Sheffield ever had.

heard of jackie robinson dad used tell me about him i would like to add another name to that tony currie worth entrance money alone just to see him run out pure class

After his playing career ended he managed Peterborough and West Bromwich Albion before moving abroad to Portugal. Eusebio was in his highly successful Benfica team in the 70's.

As a player he was a gifted and extremely skilful inside forward but only won one full England cap, the result, I suppose, of playing for SUFC. I'd rate him alongside Joe Shaw and Tony Currie as the best players the Blades have ever fielded, at least in my lifetime. Pity we can't bring all three back in their prime into the current team - we'd be pushing for the Premiership title! Ah well, in my dreams!

I first went to "The Lane" in the 1947-48 season and remember a right-half named Ernest Jackson, he lived in Heeley and my father knew him as he was a Heeley lad and he told me that Ernest would walk from his home to the ground on match days and play the game then after a bath walk back home for his tea.

I also remember travelling along Abbeydale Rd. on the bus on my way to the match and Tony Currie and Alan Birchenall got on, apparently they were in lodgings at the time, indeed how times have changed.

Archived