Are the police and CPS scared of Murdoch?

How does the position stand regarding all these out of court settlements the News of the Screws has reached with various people they've eavesdropped on?

Surely just because two parties come to a financial arrangement it doesn't mean the crime should not be fully investigated by the law.

I think they've made them sign clauses that they will divulge nothing or else the terms of the settlement are void. In a non legal setting it's called bribery!

I think they've made them sign clauses that they will divulge nothing or else the terms of the settlement are void. In a non legal setting it's called bribery!

I'd have thought the investigation of a crime, even if the victim chooses not to bring charges, would take precedence over some grubby payoff.

I'd have thought the investigation of a crime, even if the victim chooses not to bring charges, would take precedence over some grubby payoff.

Well yes, that would be the way it worked if Joe Bloggs was the perpetrator.

But in this case, the only reason we even know the police have evidence is because they have been obliged to release it to people bringing private lawsuits against NoTW.

It seems that if News International had managed to pay all the plaintiffs off, the police and CPS would have been quite happy to act like there was no further need for criminal investigation/prosecution.

Archived