Tragic Life Stories..

I was in WH Smiths the other day and i noticed how big the "Tragic Life Stories" section was, you know, books with titles like "Don't tell mummy" and "No daddy don't" all about child abuse.

Now i have never got the fascination that some people have for reading these kind of books but apparantly they're quite popular, i can understand the authors wanting to tell their stories for whatever reasons, but i dont understand what compels people to read them.

Just wondering if anyone here enjoys reading them? If so,Why?

Or does anyone have the same view as me?

I was in WH Smiths the other day and i noticed how big the "Tragic Life Stories" section was, you know, books with titles like "Don't tell mummy" and "No daddy don't" all about child abuse.

Now i have never got the fascination that some people have for reading these kind of books but apparantly they're quite popular, i can understand the authors wanting to tell their stories for whatever reasons, but i dont understand what compels people to read them.

Just wondering if anyone here enjoys reading them? If so,Why?

Or does anyone have the same view as me?

Maybe it resonates with their own experiences?

I have many of them and enjoyed reading all of them! They can be too vivid at times but its always good to get to the end and read about how they have turned their lives around.

I think some people will also read them because as donkey said, it resonates with their own experiences and helps them understand their not alone.

schadenfreude

I wonder if that's the consequence of our need to reinforce our vulnerabilities. Good news reminds us of how crappy life is personally and we really try to avoid it. Bad/tragic news on the other hand is 'good' news because it reminds us that life aint to bad because there's others far worse off.

There is the other aspect of deriving pleasure from others misfortune..maybe that has some link with the above. Today it seems we are obsessed with the failings of others..and even partake in those failings. Xfactor is an example of how far we haven't come in relation to the Roman arena...same principle, thumbs up or down.

The OP has opened a topic that is quite complex and I would guess not easily answered as it has such a broad spectrum..

I don't think I could read one. I don't read sad books full stop even if they are fiction and can't bear to read gruesome books either.

I think I would just spend every evening crying myself to sleep if I read books like that. There is enough misery and horrific stories in the news, why anyone would want to read more is beyond me.

Archived