Why do majority of kids from prosperous areas do better in school?

I guess in Prosperous areas, the common language is English.

In deprived areas, there are numerous languages.

In many local schools, where the immigtration levels are higher (the places where the political elite like to place migrants) there are many different languages spoken in the school.

So from a teachers point of view, the problem is clear cut. If a Teacher from a Prosperous area says something, ie, "Draw a circle", everyone understands because everyone in the classroom speaks English

If in the same class (poorer areas) you have many different languages, the teacher says "Draw a circle", a good percentage of the class can't speak English and so don't understand the instruction.

If you went to live in China, and the Chinese Teacher couldn't speak English, the teacher would say something like "jhgjg ^%%hgj %$]oo @~#%$ ". To the local Chinese Kids that would mean something, but to an English Person who can't speak Chinese "jhgjg ^%%hgj %$]oo @~#%$ " means nothing

The Chinese teacher would be going insane having to get the words "HJHBJ rtftr knjk ^%^^%v GYGUYG !!!!" to mean something to the English Person who can't speak chinese

In many local schools, where the immigtration levels are higher (the places where the political elite like to place migrants) there are many different languages spoken in the school.

So from a teachers point of view, the problem is clear cut. If a Teacher from a Prosperous area says something, ie, "Draw a circle", everyone understands because everyone in the classroom speaks English

If in the same class (poorer areas) you have many different languages, the teacher says "Draw a circle", a good percentage of the class can't speak English and so don't understand the instruction.

If you went to live in China, and the Chinese Teacher couldn't speak English, the teacher would say something like "jhgjg ^%%hgj %$]oo @~#%$ ". To the local Chinese Kids that would mean something, but to an English Person who can't speak Chinese "jhgjg ^%%hgj %$]oo @~#%$ " means nothing

The Chinese teacher would be going insane having to get the words "HJHBJ rtftr knjk ^%^^%v GYGUYG !!!!" to mean something to the English Person who can't speak chinese

:hihi::hihi::hihi: Please Sue, shut your bloody budgie up!:hihi::hihi:

Really. Are you sure about that?

Have you been to any of our ex-mining communities, for example? They are generally pretty monocultural, deprived and characterised by poor educational achievement.

Yet they will all understand an instruction like "Draw a circle".

Top lesson plan, by the way.

Have you been to any of our ex-mining communities, for example? They are generally pretty monocultural, deprived and characterised by poor educational achievement.

Hmmmmm.....I was lead to believe that teachers have little time on their hands for much else other than school work, even at home.

You seem to have quite a lot on your hands (time that is), to do an awful lot of posting and even lowering yourself to the depths of moderating.

Would the kids who you educate, be better educated if you devoted more time to them methinks.

Do you realise that you just said something very rude in Serbo-Croat?

As a retired teacher and former supporter of Comprehensive education, I've finally come round to the argument that Grammer Schools should be reintroduced nationwide as a lever towards social mobility and a way out of the working class and into positions of authority.

We would then have a more balanced society and everyone would benefit.

As a retired teacher and former supporter of Comprehensive education, I've finally come round to the argument that Grammer Schools should be reintroduced nationwide as a lever towards social mobility and a way out of the working class and into positions of authority.

You're not - by any chance - suggesting that Her Majesty's Loyal Opposition is comprised of privileged privately-educated persons are you?:rolleyes:

:clap: The working class can kiss my ar8e,

I'vegot the Foreman's job at last.:clap:

+1 from me.

I've spent a lifetime working in (mostly) Sheffield schools. I'm a died in the wool lefty... even though I hide it well:D

I've become more and more convinced over the last ten years that a few judiciously placed Grammar Schools would make a massive difference to the city. They need to go on the east side though.

Lol, yeah, I'd best call up all the professionals I know from the ex-mining village where I grew up and tell them that we didn't all get degree's and good careers, we should probably just hand back our A levels and GCSE's as well as we probably just imagined that we'd passed.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/shared/bsp/hi/education/09/school_tables/secondary_schools/html/372_4022.stm

And the neighbouring comprehensive serving some more ex-mining communities.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/shared/bsp/hi/education/09/school_tables/secondary_schools/html/372_4025.stm

I think it's the inner city schools that have the problems generally, not the pleasant leafy villages of the ex-mining villages.

Archived