Why do majority of kids from prosperous areas do better in school?

+1 from me.

I've spent a lifetime working in (mostly) Sheffield schools. I'm a died in the wool lefty... even though I hide it well:D

I've become more and more convinced over the last ten years that a few judiciously placed Grammar Schools would make a massive difference to the city. They need to go on the east side though.

I don't understand why you think grammar schools need to go on the east side of the city.

As a retired teacher and former supporter of Comprehensive education, I've finally come round to the argument that Grammer Schools should be reintroduced nationwide as a lever towards social mobility and a way out of the working class and into positions of authority.

We would then have a more balanced society and everyone would benefit.

I am also a retired teacher born into a very working class family. My escape was through an excellent school and free University education that came with a full grant.

What a lot of twoddle, it is nothing to do with where you live.

More to do with parenting, morals and the childs choices as it grows up.

Would agree with this, nothing at all to do with where you live. If children have good caring parents, who teach their children discipline and kindness. Read books to them from babyhood. Help them with homework when they start school. Teach them about the world, about nature. To care for people, animals and the environment then all children would grow up to be good rounded members of society.

Really. Are you sure about that?

Have you been to any of our ex-mining communities, for example? They are generally pretty monocultural, deprived and characterised by poor educational achievement.

Yet they will all understand an instruction like "Draw a circle".

Top lesson plan, by the way.

If lots of English People went to China and could not speak the language (chinese), and the teacher gave an instruction " HKJH HHH FTFT OKOJ GHHG"

Its going to be harder to learn if the student cannot understand what "TGFYTFT YUGUYG FRTT FTR" means

Lol, yeah, I'd best call up all the professionals I know from the ex-mining village where I grew up and tell them that we didn't all get degree's and good careers, we should probably just hand back our A levels and GCSE's as well as we probably just imagined that we'd passed.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/shared/bsp/hi/education/09/school_tables/secondary_schools/html/372_4022.stm

And the neighbouring comprehensive serving some more ex-mining communities.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/shared/bsp/hi/education/09/school_tables/secondary_schools/html/372_4025.stm

I think it's the inner city schools that have the problems generally, not the pleasant leafy villages of the ex-mining villages.

And you are happy with the figures for Dinnington? Half of the students leaving without 5 decent GCSEs. A low CVA figure. Very low Science results.

That is exactly the profile that I was alluding to.

Wales' figures are better.

Here you go, another Rotherham school. Shall we go to Doncaster next? Or the North East?

Underachievement isn't just an inner city problem.

Oh, by the way, when you make that phone call, don't be surprised if I answer the phone:wink:

They have parents that understand the value of education and so they are encouraged to learn, to behave and to value going to school. Their parents may have more inclination, ability or time to help them at home also, but IMO it's mainly down to attitude.

Children from working class backgrounds where the parents take an interest in their education do just as well. Unfortunately middle class parents are more likely to understand the value of education themselves and so more likely to encourage their children and support them.

I completely agree with this. But it's a sad state of affairs. My parents both came from very working class backgrounds in Manchester and went to University in the sixties because their parents were aspirational and encouraged them to do their best. It seems like nowadays there is a section of society that just seems to think a life on the sick or on income support is preferable to working and they don't encourage their children at all and it turns into a vicious circle. I also feel very sorry for working class kids who actually want to do well and achieve but are stuck in a school full of feral kids holding them back whilst the counterparts and King Ed's etc do well.

What a lot of twoddle, it is nothing to do with where you live.

More to do with parenting, morals and the childs choices as it grows up.

When you look at the bigger picture though, there is a correlation between parenting ability and socioeconomic class. Where you live isn't the causative factor, it is however an indicative factor that can be used to predict educational achievement.

And you are happy with the figures for Dinnington? Half of the students leaving without 5 decent GCSEs. A low CVA figure. Very low Science results.

It has higher than average results for the LEA. So clearly there are worse performing schools.

That is exactly the profile that I was alluding to.

Wales' figures are better.

Here you go, another Rotherham school. Shall we go to Doncaster next? Or the North East?

Underachievement isn't just an inner city problem.

Nor is it just a problem of ex-mining villages, which is the claim you made.

Oh, by the way, when you make that phone call, don't be surprised if I answer the phone:wink:

Ah, right, maybe we're even friends in real life, but I suspect not.

If you went to Dinnington though, and succeeded, why make the statement that you did?

They are generally pretty monocultural, deprived and characterised by poor educational achievement

Monocultural I could accept, I can count the number of non white students at comprehensive whilst I was there on my ears.

I don't see how the area could be described as deprived though, within the catchment of Dinnington comprehensive are more middle class and more expensive family homes than in many city schools, and whilst there were certainly a core of students who were never going to achieve very much, there was also a large number who achieved good grades and went on to uni and good careers.

I guess a lot can change in 15 years though, I believe it went through special measures at one point, so maybe standards went downhill.

My parents were working class,not 2 pennies to rub together,dad lost his wages in the bookies many a time,strapped food to survive,wellies in the summer,didn't really care what path I took as long as I earn't and brought board in.

I made sure that my kids didn't suffer the same by sheat hard work and maybe a little luck.

It does depend on your upbringing but there are quite a few exceptions.

Archived