Why do majority of kids from prosperous areas do better in school?

But how are the kids encouraged to use it. Not much good having broadband at home if all you do with it is spend all the time on Facebook (or Sheffield Forum :)).

Absolutely. But for years, the assumption was that the middle classes did better at school because they had more books in the home. Nowadays, many people have access to an incredible amount of information, yet that doesn't seem to be narrowing the gap.

You made an important point in your last post though. A peaceful learning environment makes a lot of difference. Sadly, some of our massive inner city, one-size-fits-all comps don't provide such an environment.

They have parents that understand the value of education and so they are encouraged to learn, to behave and to value going to school. Their parents may have more inclination, ability or time to help them at home also, but IMO it's mainly down to attitude.

Children from working class backgrounds where the parents take an interest in their education do just as well. Unfortunately middle class parents are more likely to understand the value of education themselves and so more likely to encourage their children and support them.

That's just about it in a nutshell.

Absolutely. But for years, the assumption was that the middle classes did better at school because they had more books in the home. Nowadays, many people have access to an incredible amount of information, yet that doesn't seem to be narrowing the gap.

You made an important point in your last post though. A peaceful learning environment makes a lot of difference. Sadly, some of our massive inner city, one-size-fits-all comps don't provide such an environment.

If you're talking about the Internet how do you know the information is true? There are a lot of weirdos and cyberwarriors out there trying to persaude public opinion with disinformation in the hope that they will support their views, this website is living proof of that. Even respected websites like Wikipedia is not wholly accurate.

What a lot of twoddle, it is nothing to do with where you live.

More to do with parenting, morals and the childs choices as it grows up.

Thank you Michael Gove.

You'd best be publishing your research findings then.

There isn't a credible educational researcher that I know of, who shares your view. Even Ofsted accept that social class affects attainment.

If you're talking about the Internet how do you know the information is true? There are a lot of weirdos and cyberwarriors out there trying to persaude public opinion with disinformation in the hope that they will support their views, this website is living proof of that. Even respected websites like Wikipedia is not wholly accurate.

I know if they are true or not, because I've been taught to distinguish between them. Kids can easily be given a list of reliable sources to help with a project. It is pretty standard practice. By GCSE they are expected to evaluate sources for reliability.

I can only hope that you are not a former student of mine. I'd hate to think that I'd allowed anyone to leave my lessons with the impression that Wikipediia was "respected":)

They have parents that understand the value of education and so they are encouraged to learn, to behave and to value going to school. Their parents may have more inclination, ability or time to help them at home also, but IMO it's mainly down to attitude.

Children from working class backgrounds where the parents take an interest in their education do just as well. Unfortunately middle class parents are more likely to understand the value of education themselves and so more likely to encourage their children and support them.

Agreed and I did all my homework in my bedroom and I found playing my favourite music (not loudly) helped me work quickly

Archived