Why do majority of kids from prosperous areas do better in school?

Ok, let's talk about my daughter.

She grew up on a council estate with me her mother a single parent family.

I grew up on the same estate, one which now is currently being demolished.

I did the best i could until she was old enough for me to return to work, she went to a large secondry school, then went on to study to get into uni she is now in her last year and she works part time to avoid any debt.

Yes she knew kids that were disruptive at school and some that never went.

She made her own choices and i brought her up with the best morals and to have respect.

I also work fulltime as a manager and we have a comfortable life.

So the point is life is what you make it, not where you live or waiting for someone to hand it to you.

There isn't a credible educational researcher that I know of, who shares your view. Even Ofsted accept that social class affects attainment.
If for some reason, like losing your job or bankruptcy, you had to move and your kids attend a sink school somewhere, do you think that their social class would really be of much help?

If you were surrounded by students that didn't care and teachers that didn't expect anything of you, do you still think they'd do as well as their middle-class peers? That's no matter how many books and parental expectations you had.

I did the best i could until she was old enough for me to return to work, she went to a large secondry school, then went on to study to get into uni she is now in her last year and she works part time to avoid any debt.

She made her own choices and i brought her up with the best morals and to have respect.

So the point is life is what you make it, not where you live or waiting for someone to hand it to you.

No it isn't, LIFE IS WHAT OTHER PEOPLE LET YOU MAKE IT.

If for some reason, like losing your job or bankruptcy, you had to move and your kids attend a sink school somewhere, do you think that their social class would really be of much help?

If you were surrounded by students that didn't care and teachers that didn't expect anything of you, do you still think they'd do as well as their middle-class peers? That's no matter how many books and parental expectations you had.

I do actually. Support at home and positive role models go a long way. That is one of the reasons why some students still do very well at poorly performing schools.

I'll just take issue with the notion of "sink" schools and teachers with low aspirations. That might be true in some cases, but most of the outstanding teachers that I've ever worked with, have spent some time in difficult schools. It really isn't true that those schools are packed with poor teachers who don't care.

Just to add to what more intelligent posters have already said - in scummy schools it's well cool to be thick. Intelligence and academic aspirations are grounds for ridicule. It's waaaaay cooler to smoke, drink cider and have sex in the park.

That's quite a good point actualy, you may be onto something there. Well done to your daughter by the way. :)

It's waaaaay cooler to smoke, drink cider and have sex in the park.

Which makes it all the more confusing, because plenty of middle class kids do this too. Just not all the time:hihi:

Archived