How much board do you charge?

Back in the early 00's when I lived at home I gave my Mum £150 a month board. So that was roughly £30 a week based on a five week month. I was working though, if not she probably wouldn't have taken that much off me.

I've always paid board when I'm working, but taking money off jobseekers is a bit harsh imo. Unless they're obviously not looking for work, then I'd take money as an incentive for them to find a job sharpish (or at least make an effort).

Appreciate that. Our younger daughter is on Job Seekers at the moment and we don't charge her anything .. In fact .. we have only just started to charge our elder daughter who is 22 (23 in April) board and I thought it quite fair to ask for £20 a week as she is working full time.

She seems to think that this is totally unfair of us .. and the blummin fight I have to get it off her. I have told her that if I have to ask, she will pay me £25 a week .. if she offers me, then it's £20.

We're hoping she moves out soon. lol

Appreciate that. Our younger daughter is on Job Seekers at the moment and we don't charge her anything .. In fact .. we have only just started to charge our elder daughter who is 22 (23 in April) board and I thought it quite fair to ask for £20 a week as she is working full time.

She seems to think that this is totally unfair of us .. and the blummin fight I have to get it off her. I have told her that if I have to ask, she will pay me £25 a week .. if she offers me, then it's £20.

We're hoping she moves out soon. lol

I think £20 is very reasonable! In fairness both myself and my brother have said we never really appreciated how little board we paid until we moved out and suddenly had to pay for everything ourselves. I suspect your daughter will feel the same in years to come. :)

I think £20.00 is fair if not in full time employment. It gives grounding and a sense of responsibility and lets them know that in life you dont get a free ride.

She is in full time employment .. *chuckle*

Archived