How much board do you charge?

I made my mum pay me to live there...

But seriously, i thinks it depends how well off you are and also how much stuff there using in the house, if earning a 1000 a month.. 200 quid? If you say full time how much does she earn...

Appreciate that. Our younger daughter is on Job Seekers at the moment and we don't charge her anything .. In fact .. we have only just started to charge our elder daughter who is 22 (23 in April) board and I thought it quite fair to ask for £20 a week as she is working full time.

She seems to think that this is totally unfair of us .. and the blummin fight I have to get it off her. I have told her that if I have to ask, she will pay me £25 a week .. if she offers me, then it's £20.

We're hoping she moves out soon. lol

she needs to start living in the real world, once she moves out she will miss paying £25 quid a week!

i used to pay that 20+ yrs ago while at home and working full time. whats she earn? no way is that a lot to pay!

Appreciate that. Our younger daughter is on Job Seekers at the moment and we don't charge her anything .. In fact .. we have only just started to charge our elder daughter who is 22 (23 in April) board and I thought it quite fair to ask for £20 a week as she is working full time.

She seems to think that this is totally unfair of us .. and the blummin fight I have to get it off her. I have told her that if I have to ask, she will pay me £25 a week .. if she offers me, then it's £20.

We're hoping she moves out soon. lol

My bold

Isn't she going to get a nasty surprise when she moves out and has to pay for everything herself!!!

£20 is a ludicrously piddling amount to pay for board, does she help in the house at all?

Divide up your total food bill by the number in the house and add a bit for gas and electric,

you now have the answer.

If the money is not needed put it to one side it will make a nice sum to put towards their own place (don't tell them )

Make it non negotiable as they will never get anywhere cheaper.

Lets be fair Saff at £20 a week its a steal, I'll move in for that! If shes working FT she'll be on around £900+ I don't think £150 per month is unreasonable. If she doesn't like it shes free to leave, if she can find somewhere to live for the same price then fair play to her.

Divide up your total food bill by the number in the house and add a bit for gas and electric,

you now have the answer.

If the money is not needed put it to one side it will make a nice sum to put towards their own place (don't tell them )

Make it non negotiable as they will never get anywhere cheaper.

My bold

Or, to teach them the benefit of saving for things, make them put a portion of it into a savings account, which they are not allowed to withdraw from until they leave home.

Many, many years ago, when I had my first job, my mum gave me the option of paying £5 a week board, or paying £2.10 board and saving £2.10 in a Post Office account. Guess which option I plumped for? :hihi:

My bold

Or, to teach them the benefit of saving for things, make them put a portion of it into a savings account, which they are not allowed to withdraw from until they leave home.

Many, many years ago, when I had my first job, my mum gave me the option of paying £5 a week board, or paying £2.10 board and saving £2.10 in a Post Office account. Guess which option I plumped for? :hihi:

what happened to the other 80p?

She is in full time employment .. *chuckle*

Wuuups my bad :o)

I have a friend who charges each of his sons £60.00 a week, they both have good jobs. They hand it over to him every month, he then in turn hands it over to his other half, who then passes it back to the lads under the table when she thinks he isnt looking...Mums eh :o)

Archived