Do you trust English History?

For me, being an Englishman, in the world today, I have to admit that we were responsible for a lot of terrible events throughout history. I don't think I should have to apologise for what my ancestors did, but at least acknowledge what they did, and admit, it was wrong....

Who exactly are the 'We' you refer to?

Were your ancestors Merchants and Banksters or where they the poor bloody infantry sent overseas on behalf of the Banksters?

Who exactly are the 'We' you refer to?

Were your ancestors Merchants and Banksters or where they the poor bloody infantry sent overseas on behalf of the Banksters?

Since the thread is about English history I would assume, that because I'm English, I'm referring to the English. It would be mighty complicated to trace every individual member of our family tree back generations to investigate their role in our empire building...

Depends on what they're saying...

I think every history writer puts a slant on things to please those in authority over them or reinforce their beliefs.

Do you beleive what you want to beleive ?

Evidence to back up history can also be very selective and biased.

Who is writing the history that makes many Britishers ashamed of their countries past ?

Do you trust the writers of history that demonise the English ?

There's nothing wrong with getting an overall view taking into account the good and the bad on all sides as far as documented evidence can show. It's just about honesty. I don't understand why you think that acknowledging uncomfortable truths is being ashamed or demonising. It's entirely possible to stand back and have a dispassionate overview that is neither jingoistic and in denial, nor self-flagellating and dripping with guilt. As I pointed out in my first post, there are indeed those who go the other way, but play exactly the same distorting blame/denial game as those they accuse. But many people are able to get past that polarised thinking. It's not a healthy filter through which to view the world.

I was once flying on an internal flight in the USA, a young boy of about 12 was sat at the side of me and we were having a very grown up intelligent conversation for about 2 hours. As we came into land he told me that his grandfather was a very famous "Irish freedom fighter" and he and his family was very proud of him. One man's freedom fighter is another man's terrorist I told him and he did not understand why I said that but his father, who had been listening to our conversation changed the subject very quickly.

I discovered a long time ago that each side in any conflict have their own history and official history is written by the victors.

Archived