People should have their council tax bands revalued to make them pay more

chem1st

Chem1ist, are you a Tory by any chance? There is clear logic to what your saying as some people are getting away with paying less than they should and others are paying too much but crikey please dont start a campaign, were all being screwed enough by the government, please dont be a mechanism to help them screw us more

SO because I rent somewhere that has risen ridiculously in value, and thus still rent because property is out of my financial reach, I should pay more because the landlord's capital has increased?

Don't fancy your chances of standing for election

Just because my house is worth more now than it was in 1991 does not mean I am any better off than we were then, in fact we had a lot more disposable income then than we do now. Due to cutbacks at work my partner now earns probably the same amount now as he did when we bought our house as he is now on minimum wage.

We certainly could not afford a major increase in council tax.

There is some logic. I have had two bedroom flats where council tax has been band c, they have had communal grounds and lighting paid for by service charge. its unfair that there are people paying band A on houses worth more than say the 140 grand flat I had, so in some cases its unfair. However I dont think just this minute it should be revised, let the poor buggers getting away with it a bit do so a bit longer I say

Chem1ist, are you a Tory by any chance? There is clear logic to what your saying as some people are getting away with paying less than they should and others are paying too much but crikey please dont start a campaign, were all being screwed enough by the government, please dont be a mechanism to help them screw us more

I'm not a tory, no. I'm just suggesting that this tax is being administered unfairly (compared to 1991).

The fact is the rebanding will almost certainly never happen. The cost of rebanding would be enormous and even though the valuations are years out of date no government is going to try to do it. Turkeys don't vote for christmas.

I doubt it will, but there is good reason for it to be done if council tax is to be kept.

It would appear it shall soon be done away with altogether and replaced with a different form of property tax, along with business rates.

Some will be worse off and some will gain.

Can anyone tell me what council house tenants pay, council tax wise please.

Same as everyone else.

In Sheffield that normally means Band A.

Private house = Band A

Council house = Band A

Rented private house = Band A

1 bed flat in poor area = Band A.

3 bed house in well off area generally = Band A.

Same as everyone else.

In Sheffield that normally means Band A.

Private house = Band A

Council house = Band A

Rented private house = Band A

1 bed flat in poor area = Band A.

3 bed house in well off area generally = Band

So council tenants living in a band a house ,for example ,pay the same as someone in a private or rented house? about £100 a month or whatever it currently is?

And on top of that pay some sort of rent I'm guessing? and again I assume this only applies to people that are employed?

Archived