People should have their council tax bands revalued to make them pay more

chem1st

Same as everyone else.

In Sheffield that normally means Band A.

Private house = Band A

Council house = Band A

Rented private house = Band A

1 bed flat in poor area = Band A.

3 bed house in well off area generally = Band A.

And why should someone living in a better area in a 3 bed house pay more than a 1 bad flat in a rough area?? do they get more services from the council or something?

And why should someone living in a better area in a 3 bed house pay more than a 1 bad flat in a rough area?? do they get more services from the council or something?

Population density and the ease and cost of providing services in areas of different cost...

I like the little homeless sign avatar you have, with idea' like that more and more people will find them selves homeless. It's expensive enough and we get very little in sheffield for the council tax we pay. The chap who said tax big corporations hit the nail on the head

So your saying it has nothing to do with an area being good or bad. Or how much the house costs?

Well it is completely daft to be honest. It its based upon a 2 decades old valuation.

When considering inflation, and the initial valuations and the council tax bands. And the current property average, it is completely ludicrous that most Sheffield properties are Band A, with the next largest amounts band B and C. You would expect most to be Band D with some above and some below.

It doesn't appear to have much to do with either.

I'd like to see council tax scrapped and replaced with a tax that takes a persons ability to pay into consideration, the UK tax system is little better than a scam in favour of wealthy money grabbing scumbags.

Someone in a city I used to live in told me that more than 9% of that cities population had received visits from bailiffs as a result of this tax, how can that be right.

I wonder what the figures for Sheffield are?

I can see some logic in the OP's suggestion.

At present, people work until late May for the taxman, before they start seeing some of their own money. After that, depending on lifestyle (running a car, drinking, smoking etc.) that 'freedom' day edges ever nearer Christmas!

Increase Council Tax (25% of which goes to fund the local authority workers' pensions) and we needn't bother our employers with wage slips, accounts departments etc. - they can just send it straight to HMRC, who might give us a bit of pocket money.

Then, finally, an army of people will wake up to the fact that they are going to work at present for basically nothing.

And they may - just may - realise that voting is the most stupid thing they can ever do.

Archived