People should have their council tax bands revalued to make them pay more

chem1st

What is important is that people living in the lowest value houses pay the least council tax, those in the most expensive pay the most. The cheapest houses in 1991 are likely to still be the cheapest now. The most expensive in 1991 are likely to still be the most expensive now. It is relative prices that matter, and they probably haven't changed much since 1991.
Ideally yes but lots has changed since 1991 some areas are more desirable to live in and some are less. The city centre being the best example

OK, but if they reassess which band each property should be in, but without changing the values attached to each band, then almost everyone in Sheffield will move up a band or two and therefore be paying more. As I said earlier eventually we will all be in the highest band.

OK, but if they reassess which band each property should be in, but without changing the values attached to each band, then almost everyone in Sheffield will move up a band or two and therefore be paying more. As I said earlier eventually we will all be in the highest band.
You're quite right. Its not the band the property is in that needs re-assessing its the bands themselves.

Over the last few years house prices have fallen, but over the long term they usually go up. Many years ago my grandfather bought a perfectly good house for £212. The house my parents live in cost them £13,000. If the house price attached to each band is not updated, but houses are reassessed based on current values, then eventually everyone in Sheffield is likely to be in the highest band paying the maximum amount of council tax.

What is important is that people living in the lowest value houses pay the least council tax, those in the most expensive pay the most. The cheapest houses in 1991 are likely to still be the cheapest now. The most expensive in 1991 are likely to still be the most expensive now. It is relative prices that matter, and they probably haven't changed much since 1991.

Aye, I included the relative vaues of £40000 in the OP;

Current data is only available till 2009. In 2009, the relative worth of £40,000.00 from 1991 is:

£64,000.00

using the retail price index

£62,800.00

using the GDP deflator

£78,900.00

using the average earnings

£86,700.00

using the per capita GDP.

Only properties worth less than this should still be band A.

Ideally yes but lots has changed since 1991 some areas are more desirable to live in and some are less. The city centre being the best example

Is the cost of revaluing every house actually worth it though... Or will it cost more than it ever generates.

Aye, I included the relative vaues of £40000 in the OP;

Only properties worth less than this should still be band A.

Well done, house price inflation has out stripped general inflation.

What would be the benefit of shoving the majority of housing up a couple of bands? Why not just increase council tax by a few % instead? It'd have exactly the same effect.

Is the cost of revaluing every house actually worth it though... Or will it cost more than it ever generates.
Probably, which is why its never been done. There is a strong argument for re-assessing the bands but since it means most properties would stay in the bands they are in and its not going to raise revenue theres not really any reason to do it.

Archived