People should have their council tax bands revalued to make them pay more

chem1st

You don't use street lighting? Gritted roads, bin collection, social services, libraries or swimming pools (to just mention a few things that the council provides).

I bought my house in the mid 90s. Its a 3 bed semi built in the 20s and is in Band D. My road doesn't get gritted but does have street lighting, bins collected. We never need grafitti cleaning etc.. Never use a library or social services. Happy to pay for private swimming as needed.

I'd be happy to pay for what I consume, I'd easily get away with 10-12 bin collections per year.

I bought my house in the mid 90s. Its a 3 bed semi built in the 20s and is in Band D. My road doesn't get gritted but does have street lighting, bins collected. We never need grafitti cleaning etc.. Never use a library or social services. Happy to pay for private swimming as needed.

I'd be happy to pay for what I consume, I'd easily get away with 10-12 bin collections per year.

Would you like a police and fire service, schools, parks, museums, road repairs, disabled parking services and the millions of other things the council does but you don't really think about

Would you like a police and fire service, schools, parks, museums, road repairs, disabled parking services and the millions of other things the council does but you don't really think about

As I said "happy to pay for what I actually need and consume", this includes police, fire, parks, planning, conservation, road provision and similar services but not schools, libraries, housing offices to name a few. If the council are doing millions of other things then there must be blatant savings that could be made, because they're certainly not delivering millions of services or things.

In fact I've just checked the council website which states they provide 400 services.

It's going to cost you more for those services of course, because other people who do use libraries and housing offices might prefer not to pay for parks or conservation.

Of course it doesn't work like that, you get to vote for a representative, not choose how the tax you pay is spent.

The bands are a guide to the relative worth of a property.

The relative worth of a property will have increased across the board

i.e. if a "Band A" house was worth 40K in 1991 and is now worth 65K (say) then the "Band B"

house will have increased by approx. the same percentage (and "Band C" and "D" etc.).

So the band differentials remain the same - even if houses had been valued at £1, £2, £3 in 1991 they'd still be in their relative Bands.

And Council Tax increases every year by more than inflation, for every band, so I'm afraid I miss the point of revaluing everything.

It took 46 posts for someone to point out that council tax bands are based on relative property values, not absolute property values? Jesus.

As I said "happy to pay for what I actually need and consume", this includes police, fire, parks, planning, conservation, road provision and similar services but not schools, libraries, housing offices to name a few. If the council are doing millions of other things then there must be blatant savings that could be made, because they're certainly not delivering millions of services or things.

In fact I've just checked the council website which states they provide 400 services.

Would you be happy to pay for only what you use if it cost you more to do so?

can someone explain then why i pay £30 more council tax living in a 2 bed end terraced house than my in laws that live in a 3 bed detached house thats twice as big as my house?????? :huh:
Depends, do they get council tax benefit? Where are the properties? Have you checked what band you're both in?

Most places in Sheffield are Band A council tax. Band A properties are those which were worth less than £40k in 1991.

However most of the houses in Sheffield are supposedly 'worth' a hell of a lot more than what they were comparatively in 1991.

Anything over £90000 now should have its council tax band increased, if it is band A. All properties should be re-banded.

Advantages of this would be to encourage people to price property realistically, people with expensive property would pay a fair amount of tax. Council revenue would increase and cuts need not be implemented.

What do you think?

What is the big deal about the size or value of the house, fair enough if you have a big house with 10 seperate flats etc in it. However why Council Tax is based on property value still puzzles me. It doesn't matter where you live in the city most people generally get the same deal. Poor services from the city council.

Surely the amount of people living in a property should determine levels of council tax.My house is in Band A, a 2 up 2 down on a council estate. Three of us including a child live here. We have crappy roads, litter problems, high volumes of traffic racing through the estate on "rat runs" and the usual social problems associated. However people in a Band D area may suffer the exact same where they live.

There are some families living in 3 bedroom homes with 5 - 8 people using services, extra bins etc etc. Where as an older couple may not have any children at home and recycle for instance, not have a car etc and still pay the same!! I've just thrown this into the mix because this type of discussion has been around for over 20 years.

Archived