Mass Food Shortages Forecast..

I was listening to a discussion about this on Radio 4 earlier today. There was one (I believe) Indian doctor on the programme who stated that the whole food shortage argument is just scaremongering in order to push GM foods. He went on to state that we currently produce enough food to feed 11 billion people. He pointed out that one of the main factors in food poverty was simply government will and money. He spoke a lot of sense and backed up his arguments.

I get the feeling we're being manipulated by big people again. It's all about fear. Big Pharma push new illnesses out to fit the drug all the time. Weapons of mass destruction myths are used to frighten us into going to war for oil. Maybe now the food giants are pushing for us to adopt the more manipulative and ultimately profitable GM foods?

I'm lost . . . .

That seems to be your favourite post! :hihi:

I don't have access to an allotment, but I do have a back garden - it's mainly paved, but you can grow veggies in pots very successfully. And I have a big, fierce guard-dog to protect them from marauding hordes.

I don't have access to an allotment, but I do have a back garden - it's mainly paved, but you can grow veggies in pots very successfully. And I have a big, fierce guard-dog to protect them from marauding hordes.

Note to self..

Nick pots from Dozy's back garden for allotment...:D

OK you're in, just set the dog on the "intelectual" who just posted using lots of big words without bringing anything to the party. He's going on the barbeque tonight.

Note to self..

Nick pots from Dozy's back garden for allotment...:D

You'll have to get past the guard-dog, remember!!:hihi:

He's a Staffy, so he'll have you licked to death before you manage to lift the first pot.

Hello

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-1350009/Food-prices-rocket-50-global-hunger-epidemic-causes-riots-famines.html?ITO=bookmark-chromeext

Just saw this about the future of world resources. It's all a bit scary. I think we're in for some troubled times ahead..

It isn't news, though. 'Global Population control' and 'feeding the masses' were supposed to be on the agenda at the Copenhagen conference in Dec 2009. There wasn't much said about either. Was that because none of the contries at the conference was prepared even to talk about a solution, or was it because most of them were there for the caviar and 'entertainment' and to try to screw as much money as possible out of the West?

We were told that agriculture was a major source of carbon dioxide. Both agrochemicals and the fuels used in agricultural mechanisation are major culprits. They are also a major reason for the increase in crop yields over the last part of the 20th century.

More people = more land required for housing and less land available for agriculture. So the world is going to produce more food on less land using smaller amounts of agrochemicals and less mechanisation?

I've got an allotment, a fishing rod and an air rifle. I'm not going to starve.

But seriously, I think the answer lies in being far more creative with land use and bringing the countryside into the city.

Those with allotments will be able to grow their own vegetables. Those with a few acres will be able to raise their own meat, too.

Presumably, those with window boxes will go on a diet.

How are you going to 'bring the countryside into the city?' Sixty or so years ago there were fields around (and not too far from) cities. Since then, there has been considerable urban sprawl and much of that agricultural land has ben lost. If fouel rpices continue to rise (and there's no evidence to suggest they will do otherwise) then the cost of transporting food from the countryside is going to increase. Perhaps considerably.

Then there's the cost of the food itself. LN had a newsclip last week about a village in the Norh Riding which was putting on film shows for the local residents. One of those residents said that if she wanted to go to a cinema, that involved a 40-minute drive to the nearest cinema and a 40-minute drive back again. Time might not be a problem, but 80 minutes driving (60 miles?) costs a lot of money and if fuel prices go up, it will cost even more.

If rural people are going to need more money to enable them to enjoy social amenities comparable to those enjoyed by city dwellers, do you think they will want more money for their produce or will they be happy to settle for less? There are far fewer people employed in agriculture nowadays than there were 60 years ago, but that will have to change if there is to be less mechanisation. The additional agricultural workers will have to be paid, too.

Food could become very expensive indeed.

We are all stampeding to your allotment tommorrow. After Sainburys rations bread.

In Aug 2009, wheat cost about £100 a tonne. In Aug 2010, it hit an all-time high of £160 and by December 2010 it was over £200 a tonne. The International Grains Council is forecasting a gap between supply and demand for maize of 33 Million Tonnes.

Sainsbury won't have to ration bread. Some people won't be able to afford to buy it.

Those with air rifles might have to stand guard over their allotments, but if those who live in the cities can't travel out to raid the allotments, they may not have to fight off too many raiders.

Don't rush - just had the last of the leeks and the only other thing worth having at the moment is the kale. It is good though - with a dressing of shallots and anchovies in melted butter.

Kale is yummy stirfried with chilli and chicken hmmmm.

I have just being In a argument with google. I think they must be watching us on this thread. My google has now totally broken, hence my non replies on this crucial thread. I'm sorry. I've now moved to firefox Mozzer, whatever it's called. and I'm blasting!

Archived