Mass Food Shortages Forecast..

And then my son, you shall be found...:hihi:

I will use that as a mantra in the coming days. As long as we find good stocks of corned beef and spam. The Daily Mail is mostly on the mark, but mostly not. I feel now is the time. We have the following, my Lada has a big boot. Me becoming a victim of the google banning, must be a sign. Go to the firefox thing everyone. It's still working.

The easy solution is for everyone to do the atkins diet thus eliminating the need for bread.

Corned beef and spam, and that other stuff - lasts forever. Even out in the open. We can make bread from other stuff, we have experts on our side. Don't worry.

It isn't news, though. 'Global Population control' and 'feeding the masses' were supposed to be on the agenda at the Copenhagen conference in Dec 2009. There wasn't much said about either. Was that because none of the contries at the conference was prepared even to talk about a solution, or was it because most of them were there for the caviar and 'entertainment' and to try to screw as much money as possible out of the West?

We were told that agriculture was a major source of carbon dioxide. Both agrochemicals and the fuels used in agricultural mechanisation are major culprits. They are also a major reason for the increase in crop yields over the last part of the 20th century.

More people = more land required for housing and less land available for agriculture. So the world is going to produce more food on less land using smaller amounts of agrochemicals and less mechanisation?

Those with allotments will be able to grow their own vegetables. Those with a few acres will be able to raise their own meat, too.

Presumably, those with window boxes will go on a diet.

How are you going to 'bring the countryside into the city?' Sixty or so years ago there were fields around (and not too far from) cities. Since then, there has been considerable urban sprawl and much of that agricultural land has ben lost. If fouel rpices continue to rise (and there's no evidence to suggest they will do otherwise) then the cost of transporting food from the countryside is going to increase. Perhaps considerably.

Then there's the cost of the food itself. LN had a newsclip last week about a village in the Norh Riding which was putting on film shows for the local residents. One of those residents said that if she wanted to go to a cinema, that involved a 40-minute drive to the nearest cinema and a 40-minute drive back again. Time might not be a problem, but 80 minutes driving (60 miles?) costs a lot of money and if fuel prices go up, it will cost even more.

If rural people are going to need more money to enable them to enjoy social amenities comparable to those enjoyed by city dwellers, do you think they will want more money for their produce or will they be happy to settle for less? There are far fewer people employed in agriculture nowadays than there were 60 years ago, but that will have to change if there is to be less mechanisation. The additional agricultural workers will have to be paid, too.

Food could become very expensive indeed.

In Aug 2009, wheat cost about £100 a tonne. In Aug 2010, it hit an all-time high of £160 and by December 2010 it was over £200 a tonne. The International Grains Council is forecasting a gap between supply and demand for maize of 33 Million Tonnes.

Sainsbury won't have to ration bread. Some people won't be able to afford to buy it.

Those with air rifles might have to stand guard over their allotments, but if those who live in the cities can't travel out to raid the allotments, they may not have to fight off too many raiders.

I agree. The threat will see them off.

Corned beef and spam, and that other stuff - lasts forever. Even out in the open. We can make bread from other stuff, we have experts on our side. Don't worry.

I don't eat spam or corned beef I only eat chicken and fish. As long as there is chocolate I'm happy.

I don't eat spam or corned beef I only eat chicken and fish. As long as there is chocolate I'm happy.

Those hot dog things have recovered chicken meat in them, and they last forever too. H can sort the fish, the chocolate deal might be tricky TBH.

Those with allotments will be able to grow their own vegetables. Those with a few acres will be able to raise their own meat, too.

Presumably, those with window boxes will go on a diet.

How are you going to 'bring the countryside into the city?' Sixty or so years ago there were fields around (and not too far from) cities. Since then, there has been considerable urban sprawl and much of that agricultural land has ben lost. If fouel rpices continue to rise (and there's no evidence to suggest they will do otherwise) then the cost of transporting food from the countryside is going to increase. Perhaps considerably.

By using every available space to grow food - the roofs of office buildings, in gardens, in window boxes - in short, everywhere.

The land my firnds and I cultivate covers an area roughly equal to space occupied by a couple of terraced houses and their gardens - with a little more effort we could easily double or triple our production and keep three or four families in fruit and veg.

By using every available space to grow food - the roofs of office buildings, in gardens, in window boxes - in short, everywhere.

The land my firnds and I cultivate covers an area roughly equal to space occupied by a couple of terraced houses and their gardens - with a little more effort we could easily double or triple our production and keep three or four families in fruit and veg.

What will you use for fertiliser? Or will the soil just produce huge yields year after year?

Archived