Will 'fiddle work' become the norm as people struggle to pay their taxes?

Why is it such a high-tax economy?

Could the fact that 30% of the work force don't actually work have anything to do with it?

Think you've hit the nail on the head,if everyone was working and paying taxes and the goverment not paying the workshy we would all pay less taxes.

We live in a low wage, high tax economy. Only the super wealthy (Tories, Lib Dems, BBC execs and their bankster pals) can afford to pay their taxes (but instead employ high powered lawyers to 'avoid' this).

In an unjust society, the just people will look after their family at the expense of the state...

Don't forget the (footballers, popstars ,and lots of highly paid public sector workers!).

We live in a low wage, high tax economy. Only the super wealthy (Tories, Lib Dems, BBC execs and their bankster pals) can afford to pay their taxes (but instead employ high powered lawyers to 'avoid' this).

In an unjust society, the just people will look after their family at the expense of the state...

I think you missed Labour MPs off your list....Shaun Woodward for example...

Strange, isn't it.

Which country has the highest number (per head of existing population) of immigration applications?

Is it the country with the best-developed and most generous welfare system?

Is is a country which throws open its doors to anybody who wants to come in, irrespectve of what they want to do (or whether they want somebody else to do it for them)?

Or is it a country where, if they let you in, they tell you that you may not claim anything from the State for a minimum of 3 years ? (None of this 'get by for 6 months and go on benefits for ever' nonsense.) A country where - if you do end up on benefits - those benefits are meagre and in many cases of short duration?

Is it a country where they tell you that if you commit a crime, you are likely to be imprisoned for a long time and when you are released, expelled from the country? (And they mean it, too!)

Why on earth would anybody want to go to a country like that? Could it be that those who go there intend to work and are aware that if they do work - and work very hard - they are likely to make money and they will be allowed to keep most of the money they make and spend it as they see fit?

The UK is a very attractive destination for immigrants, both legal and illegal. - If you're an illegal immigrant, you will probably be aware that getting into the UK without documentation isn't too difficult; once you are in, nobody checks up on you. (There is no requirement to register your presence with the police, local authority or anybody else for that matter.) Once you've been in the country for a while and are beginning to know your way around, if anybody asks you just say you were born there and you don't have a passport because you've always lived there.

If you come in as a legal immigrant, then in many cases you will have an automatic right to vote and after a few months you will be entitled to live on benefits.

Most immigrants get jobs. The illegals have to live and can't get benefits, so they will find work somewhere. The legal immigrants are usually well-motivated to work. - After all, they had the drive to get up and make their way to the UK in hte first place.

During the period 2000-2008, there were roughly (very roughly - nobody knows the true figure) 14 million immigrants to the UK and 7 million emigrants. The emigrants weren't all people who had lived in the UK all their lives; many were immigrants who changed their mind.

Most of the immigrants found work. Many of them set up businesses and provided work for others. Some did not.

I doubt that very many of those who emigrated did so because they thought they could find a place to live which would provide them with a more generous welfare system. I wouldn't be at all surprised to find that many ofthem emigrated because they felt that too much of the money they earned was being spent on too many people who were unemployable or unwilling to work.

If you come in as a legal immigrant, then in many cases you will have an automatic right to vote and after a few months you will be entitled to live on benefits.
You should define that, as it could be misleading.

I'm a legal immigrant and don't have an "automatic right to vote". I get a right to vote (for my MEP and local Councillor (...I think, this last one :huh:), not for my MP), and only because I have registered on the Electoral Roll and because the EU says so.

I have been a UK tax payer since 1997 and never obtained (never mind 'lived on') benefits, when I needed them in 2003.

You make good points (as usual), but just be careful with that broad brush ;)

Vast chunks of self employed is fiddle work, no vat receipt, no receipt at all. C

Cash money in the pocket, it only appears to be a problem when a)unqualified people suddenly start offering (i remember the mass migration of pit workers to become brickies) b) someone claiming state beneift does it.

You should define that, as it could be misleading.

I'm a legal immigrant and don't have an "automatic right to vote". I get a right to vote (for my MEP and local Councillor (...I think, this last one :huh:), not for my MP), and only because I have registered on the Electoral Roll and because the EU says so.

You are an EU citizen living in the UK. Like you, I have the right to vote for my MEP (though not for a member of the Bundestag or (as far as I'm aware) a local councillor.)

You were probably not granted 'Right of Abode' (under the provisions of the Immigration Act (1971)) but then again, asan EU citizen you did not need 'Right of Abode' to live in the UK.

All Commonwealth Citizens living in the UK who:

were born before 1983 with a UK-born mother (those born before 1983 and legitimately descended from a UK-born father are British citizens, whether or not they are Commonwealth citizens/British subjects); or

were adopted before 1983 by a UK-born mother; or

were married before 1983 to a man who had right of abode

Have the right of abode in the UK.

No person born in 1983 or later can have the right of abode unless he or she is a British citizen.

It is essential that the person concerned should have held Commonwealth citizenship or British subject status on 31 December 1982 and has not ceased to be a Commonwealth citizen (even temporarily) after that date.

If a non-British citizen has the right of abode, this is evidenced by a stamp in the holder's passport, and it confers the following rights:

an unconditional right to live, work and study in the United Kingdom

an entitlement to use the British/EEA immigration channel at United Kingdom ports of entry

an entitlement to apply for United Kingdom social security and welfare benefits

a right to vote and to stand for public office in the United Kingdom (since everyone with right of abode is a Commonwealth citizen, who has these rights if living in the United Kingdom)

In addition, those with right of abode may apply for British citizenship by naturalisation after meeting the normal residence and other requirements. Children born in the United Kingdom to those with right of abode will normally be British citizens by birth automatically.

I have been a UK tax payer since 1997 and never obtained (never mind 'lived on') benefits, when I needed them in 2003.

When I returned to the UK in 1991 after a 3 year absence, notwithstanding that I had paid voluntary NI contributions during my period of absence and had paid compulsory conrtibutions for the 20 years prior to that, I too was (for some strange reason) classed as being ineligible to claim benefits.

EEA Countries (which includes France, of course;)) have reciprocal benefits agreements with the UK so at first glance it would appear that you might've been entitled to benefits ... though I'm not surprised you didn't get them.

(As we've discussed before, my son was born in the UK, is a British Citizen, grew up in the UK (well, spent most of his life there) I was resident in the UK and paying taxes there for most of his childhood, yet was unable to claim the (so-called) 'Universal Benefit' of child allowance.

I did say in my post: "in many cases you will have an automatic right to vote ..." In some cases, you will not.

Vast chunks of self employed is fiddle work, no vat receipt, no receipt at all. C

Cash money in the pocket, it only appears to be a problem when a)unqualified people suddenly start offering (i remember the mass migration of pit workers to become brickies) b) someone claiming state beneift does it.

Agreed . Self employed tradesmen have always done a few jobs for cash in hand ,rather than put it through the books as it keeps the tax bill down a little.

This has always happened and always will. Customers are happy as they get the job done cheaper ,as there is no VAT on the bill , and the tradesman gets a few quid for himself rather than giving it the taxman.

this dosnt mean the quality of the work isnt up to scratch , just they are getting a cheaper job .

Everyone`s a winner.

Archived