Economy Shrinks 0.5%

Not good at all. They are using the weather as an excuse but that will only have affected the high street, which doesn't contribute that much to GDP anyhow.

Apart from the fact that half of the manufacturing industry was also shut down because they couldn't get folk in to work or supplies delivered. In the circumstances 0.5% doesn't seem too big a price to pay. We probably saved more than that by not using our cars.

Well ideological cuts across the board, job losses, high inflation plus tax rises are hardly the recipe for a growing economy are they? All stick and no carrot.

Wait for Osborne to start with the old Tory mantra .........if it ain't hurting it ain't working.

Apart from the fact that half of the manufacturing industry was also shut down because they couldn't get folk in to work or supplies delivered. In the circumstances 0.5% doesn't seem too big a price to pay. We probably saved more than that by not using our cars.

That was not my experience. Do you have a link to these figs?

That was not my experience. Do you have a link to these figs?

Well it was certainly my experience and most folk I know. There were 3 days when I failed to make it in to work, and another when I arrived and was sent home because of burst pipes and no water. A friend in the contruction industry didn't work for 2 weeks.

I suspect that this isn't untypical, although I'm not trying to make a political point.

The economy shrunk 0.5% in the last three months of the year, much more quickly that most people thought.

Are the Tories cutting too much too quickly, or did the snow simply stop shoppers propping up the economy?

No, Torys are doing the right thing

Chopping the non jobs in the public sector, cutting red tape for businesses and laying the foundations for recovery.

The recovery will come from small businesses, cheap/low end goods who will start to develop, and things will develop from there.

May take many years, but it will happen.

Going to be painfull for some, but for others (small businesses)the Torys will be the best thing to ever happen

No, Torys are doing the right thing

Chopping the non jobs in the public sector, cutting red tape for businesses and laying the foundations for recovery.

The recovery will come from small businesses, cheap/low end goods who will start to develop, and things will develop from there.

May take many years, but it will happen.

Going to be painfull for some, but for others (small businesses)the Torys will be the best thing to ever happen

I think this may explain why there were a few setbacks in December

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/8448779.stm

Whilst this might indicate where things are heading in the future.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-12112368

UK manufacturing 'growing at fastest pace for 16 years'

Why that must be going back to when John Major was Prime Minister.

I think this may explain why there were a few setbacks in December

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/8448779.stm

Whilst this might indicate where things are heading in the future.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-12112368

UK manufacturing 'growing at fastest pace for 16 years'

Why that must be going back to when John Major was Prime Minister.

No figs then Caparo to back-up your claim:

'Apart from the fact that half of the manufacturing industry was also shut down because they couldn't get folk in to work or supplies delivered'.

Thought not.;)

Archived