Crematorium to be used to heat a swimmingpool

Here's The Mail's take on it:

Fury over cash-strapped council's 'sick' plan to heat swimming pool by plugging it into crematorium

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1350039/Cheaper-way-heat-public-pool-local-crematorium.html

Just on the principle that it's annoyed the Daily Mail, then I'd support it.

Just on the principle that it's annoyed the Daily Mail, then I'd support it.

i confess i thought the same too! ;)

ive been considering a woodland burial, but if there is a way to make my remains work as hard as i do during life (why change the habit of a lifetime?), then id be happy to offer them up for heating.

hopefully though, there will be even more innovative ideas that this inspires that will be the norm before i shuffle off this mortal coil :)

x

Hi

I have just heard on the radio, that redditch council are planning to use the heat from a crematorium to heat a swimmingpool, to save 15,000 a year. They have had mixed reactions. I personally think it s great idea. Could there be any other symbiotic relationships around?

What do people think?

I think it's an excellent idea; and we should embrace re-cycling energy and not being so wasteful in general.

Unison are on on the Bandwagon now and have sided with The Daily Mail.

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/5/20110125/tuk-row-over-crematorium-heating-for-swi-45dbed5.html

The local authority maintains it would help reduce carbon emissions from energy which would otherwise be exhausted into the atmosphere.

But officials from the union Unison have called the plans "sick and an insult to local residents".

Good to know the UK's biggest union would be happy to unneccesarily burn fuels releasing co2 and waste money.

Somebody should have told them the Daily Mail's take on it first, then it would have been a great idea :lol:

I think it's an excellent idea. The only sick thing about this is all that potential energy being wasted. If the bodies are going to be burnt, might as well be used to keep the swimmers warm :)

i agree, it's a good idea. it's some nut's imagination thinking the ashes are somehow pumped into the pool. that you might be swimming in unclaimed john does' ashes that's making this so 'disgusting' i think. if it's such a big deal, they could just heat some other building. they do it already.

Archived